1914 winchester model 1912 shotgun stock

jbs550

I am completely incapable of replacing this stock.  This is a family (4th generation to me) 16 ga shotgun that I would do anything to make perfect again.  The stock is cracked significantly.  Not enough to keep it from being useful, and I have permission from my dad (who already passed it down, teary eyed, to be honest because he never thought I would want it), and am going to make every attempt to repair without replacing.  However, I would love to find someone that could A. tell me what wood is the original stock, and B. make me a perfect replica to replace it with so that I could repair the original and only hunt with the replacement in place.  

I know it seems silly to be that worried about it, but my dad has very few things to pass down to me because, as a successful parent should, he spent his entire life ensuring that I would be more successful financially than he is.  I would love to restore this heirloom, regardless of value (which I refuse to look up, as I would never part with it, regardless), and let my dad know how much it means to me.  

I am incapable, as mentioned, of doing that kind of work.  Anyone have any suggestions for someone that can?  Doesn't seem like the sort of thing that Marc does, and I just don't have any idea.  

On a side note, this is about my 5th begging for help post, and this is the most helpful web forum I have ever found for anything, woodworking or not.  

If you think you can help, email me at jbs550@me.com and I will email pics of the actual stock, both for purposes of ID of wood, and replication.  thanks again.

Jbs, if you find a local gunsmith in El Paso, they should be able to steer you in the right direction. I would suggest that you get prices from several dealers, though, because prices vary considerably. As higtron suggested, you could also google "custom made gunstocks" and probably get all the info you care to find. Another option would be to contact Winchester and ask if they sell replacement stocks for the model 1912. Most of what they manufactured had walnut stocks.

• 1 month later...