delta 46-460 larger hand wheel

duckkisser

I love my 46-460 but I want a larger handwheel on my lathe.  what I want to do is replace the small 3-4" wheel with a  6" wheel of mdf.  that way I can use it as power strop and quickly hone a few of my carving and turning tools.  I had thought the easiest way is to buy a faceplate and screw it on a mdf wheel.  but im not sure what the thread on the hand wheel is.  does anyone know?  I don't know and cant tell.  need to know if I can even buy a faceplate to mount on there.

if I cant find a face plate then ill have to find a nut to set it into the wood.

My lathe is a lot older but the threads are the same on both ends of the arbor shaft. You can put a faceplate on the outboard side and turn large platters and bowls. I put my tool rest on my drill press table and bolted the lathe and drill press to the floor to keep the tool rest in place, turned a 36" dia tabletop !

My lathe is a lot older but the threads are the same on both ends of the arbor shaft. You can put a faceplate on the outboard side and turn large platters and bowls. I put my tool rest on my drill press table and bolted the lathe and drill press to the floor to keep the tool rest in place, turned a 36" dia tabletop !

Steve, wouldn't the rotation be wrong?  Cut a piece of 2x12 into a circle.  Mount it to a faceplate and screw it onto the outboard side. Hone it a little and it's a nice wheel to put your left hand on and stop the lathe after cutting the power.  But....From the normal operator's side of the lathe it wouldn't it try to unscrew when you put pressure on it? if you go to Eddie Castelin's site, he has a 8" or 10" wheel on the outboard side of his lathe for stopping it quicker.  It's made out of wood but I'm not sure how he has mounted it.

Steve, wouldn't the rotation be wrong?  Cut a piece of 2x12 into a circle.  Mount it to a faceplate and screw it onto the outboard side. home it a little and it's a nice wheel to put your left hand on and stop the lathe after cutting the power.  But....From the normal operator's side of the lathe it wouldn't it try to unscrew when you put pressure on it? if you go to Eddie Castelin's site, he has a 8" or 10" wheel on the outboard side of his lathe for stopping it quicker.  It's made out of wood but I'm not sure how he has mounted it.

i watch the video where he made it for one of his student and he just set a bolt in the wood and epoxied it in place.