Plantation Shutters!

Phil Lunsford

Here's my second go at plantation shutters.  The first set I did was for our bedroom; they turned out okay but I learned a lot about the process and these turned out soooo much better.  The first set I used the control arm attached to the front, but opted for Rockler's hidden control arm hardware this time.  Way easier.  I also ordered their pre-cut basswood louvres which saved me a lot of time.

The frames are mortise and tenoned 5/4 poplar with a mix of Minwax red oak and Varathane poly/cherry stain blend.  

The windows in the customers house had some pretty narrow sills, and of course were out of square, so it took some jimmying to get them to hang, but still didn't work out as perfectly as I'd like; they're a little tight.

The finish picture is only the bathroom window; there was also a set in the kitchen that I haven't got a good picture of.

DSC_0168.jpgDSC_0184.jpgDSC_0447.jpg

• Like 1

The first time I did them was a little tricky, but the instructions that came with the Rockler shutter wizard thingy helped me put some things in perspective, although I didn't really follow it or use their whole system, just the pre-cut louvres and hidden arm.  I used my Shopsmith as an overarm router and then squared the mortises up with chisels.  48 M&T joints all told!  I see a Domino in my future sometime....

The first time I did them was a little tricky, but the instructions that came with the Rockler shutter wizard thingy helped me put some things in perspective, although I didn't really follow it or use their whole system, just the pre-cut louvres and hidden arm.  I used my Shopsmith as an overarm router and then squared the mortises up with chisels.  48 M&T joints all told!  I see a Domino in my future sometime....

Yea, even with the router, that's a lot of hand work!