In need of new router!!!

Cmac2008

I have thought about the triton with the Kreg table but haven't heard enough about the triton. Is the lift mechanism easy and accurate on it?

I'm still in the process of building my table for it to go in.  I bought a incra table and plate, and am building the cabinet to go under it.

I did a bit of research and it appears to be about as good as you are going to get without going to a separate router lift.  The only drawback I've seen is that you still have to reach under the table to lock the router down when you get it to the height you want.

But at my stage, I'm ok with at seeing as how a 3+ hp router and lift are going to run in the $500 range whereas the Triton ran me $280 total.

I am using a freud 3 1/4hp router in my Incra table. Removed the plunge springs, and just have to turn the knob to raise and lower the router bit.

I don't use the table enough to warrant a lift. And honestly it's not a big deal to raise the router as is.

When I do have the need to upgrade, I'll get the incra lift and the PC router people are recommending.

Finally had a chance to start working on the router table today.  Fairly basic design.  I purchased the Incra top that came with their plate and the maglock rings.  Found a "refurbished" Incra top on Amazon for ~$190, figured the plate would cost me $100 anyhow so I just went ahead and bought the top.  Just a little scuff on the corner opposite where the plate is, but it was darn flat.  Leveling the plate was a bit of a trick, but I got it pretty close after about  two hours of tweaking.  Built the cabinet today.

So far so good.  I haven't cut anything yet, but I did turn it on to make sure I had the mag switch hooked up right.  That router is darn quiet, and I don't even have the cabinet door on yet.  I drilled the 1/2" hole for the lift crank, it was super easy.  The lifting mechanism works really well, probably not as smooth as a dedicated lift; but it will work for my purposes.  I situated the router so the lock lever is right at the front, its easy to find without looking. Will have to reach around to the right rear of the router to turn the switch off when I do bit changes, but thats no big deal either.  It appears that a safety mechanism on the router is that you can't raise it all the way up with the router switched on, makes a ton of sense as a safety feature.  But the only time I'll have to do that is for bit changes, so it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Basically all I have left to do is to make the door for the cabinet where the router goes, and the drawers.  There will be 3  5" tall drawers in the top left space, and one big drawer along the bottom.  Probably throw a coat of Arm-R-Seal on it if my shipment from Rockler ever gets here.

All I have ever used in the past is a small table top router table from Sears, so I hope I didn't make any significant errors making the cabinet.  I looked at a lot of designs, but if anyone has any advice or sees anything I goofed on, please feel free to critique.  One area where I'd be interested to hear opinions is on the three smaller drawers to the right side, is 5" tall enough for bit storage?

One other thing I'm mulling over is to build or buy the fence.  I could save a bunch of money and build one, or I could get the nice one from Woodpecker or Incra.  I've been watching Craigslist but haven't seen anything in quite a while.  I like the idea of unboxing, install and go.  But I like the idea of saving several hundred bucks also.

post-15981-0-28417000-1411957686_thumb.j

post-15981-0-23253200-1411957687_thumb.j

post-15981-0-46977100-1411957688_thumb.j