Building an anchor desk

Orbb

I have agreed to build an anchor desk for my son's high school broadcast journalism program (and I was thankful I had wood and metal shop).  The teacher told me that she wanted it to look like "wood" in the base, with a laminate top. 

The top is not an issue, but I was wondering about the "wood" base.  I planned on using laminate that looked like wood, but was looking at veneer as well.  Veneer will be less expensive but I do not know what I need to do to finish it, and wonder about durability.  Laminate, on the other hand, is basically indestructible but is, well, laminate. 

Any thoughts?

Curved, and will seat two people.  Right now I am planning on using mdf for the top and covering it with laminate.  The front will be curved, and I will probably use 1/4 inch ply for it and cover the ply with either veneer or laminate.  The sides will match the front.  I plan on having an internal frame; I am still working on the dimensions on that, and am contemplating an inset box in the curved front to accommodate a flat screen monitor.  That will require some framing behind it.

I figure that I will spend $500, depending on how much laminate I have to buy.