Need a Good Sub $300 Drill Press

chefmagnus@grics.net

I was going to use my FIL drill press for my table saw fence up grade. Well, today we tried to use it to drill the holes in the 1/4" angle iron. It  died a smokey and blue flamed death when he turned it. He told me that it worked fine the last time he used it about 15 years ago. The short even melted a bit of the motor housing.

So I need to get a decent drill press for under $300(That is all my fun money for the next 2 months. Everything else is already planned for for Christmas and other projects). And if it can be less than that I might get to drink a few beers before the end of the year. So help me out. Give me your best advice.

Chef 

For under $300, you are looking at mainly benchtop machines.  Lowes does sell a floor model drill press from Porter Cable for $319.  If you are willing to take the risk, harbor freight has a floor drill for $250, but you may be better off with a name brand benchtop.

Another option, is if the bearings are still good on the DP, and the only issue with it is the fried motor, I would look into replacing the motor.

So I need to get a decent drill press for under $300(That is all my fun money for the next 2 months. Everything else is already planned for for Christmas and other projects). And if it can be less than that I might get to drink a few beers before the end of the year. So help me out. Give me your best advice.

Chef 

HMMMMM - If it were me, I would go ahead and drink all the beer I want to now and get a good floor model after Christmas :rolleyes: . Just foolin!  Good luck w/ your choices.

New motor on the old drill press....in my mind it's like putting a new transmission in a car with 450,000 miles on it.  I'm waiting on the next thing to fail.

Craigs list is a good idea because DPs do not get a lot of use generally so wear could be minimal unless it's been in a production/metal working shop.  Run far if it has.

New One - The small difference is $68 difference between HF and Porter cable....I'D chose the PC and since you have $300 anyway, put another $19 into it and get a new one...reliable....warranty....etc.