Spar over Danish

wtnhighlander

I have a small project made from walnut and mulberry. I applied 2 coats of Dark Walnut Watco Danish Oil for color. After waiting 8 hours per the instructions on the can, the surface felt dry, so I wiped on a coat of thinned Helmsman Spar Urathane, as this will be gong outside. After 12 hours, it is still quite tacky. Have I pushed things too fast by coating over the WDO, or is the cooler, damper weather slowing down the curing process?

I use the spar a bit around here on outdoor stuff .. it tends to run damp and cool where I live, so I usually give anything at least a day if not longer before applying another coat.  especially anything oil based.  not sure that helps, I don't know if the danish is the problem or just the weather, I would bet, though, that if you leave it for another day or two the spar will harden (though it won't feel the same as regular poly).  

I'm using spar varnish at the moment and it is taking a long time to cure. It says on the instructions wait 24 hours between coats. It still feels tacky after that period. The temperatures here are not very low (around 15C or 59F) during the day falling to around 5C at night but it is dampish.

Some components I coated about 5 days ago are fully cured though. I guess it's just patience and time.

I've used the Watco Oil many times and if I recall, the can says let dry for 72 hours. I'm going from memory and that not a good source :wacko:

Also, instructions say to flood the surface and wipe off the excess after a few minutes so as not to leave a residue.

the last time I used spar i did a mix of spar, BLO, and mineral spirits (similar to Marc's desert outdoor finish) and I let each coat dry for 2 days between coats, and let the final coat cure for about a month before putting it outside.  looks and feels great, but I really think the longer curing times are the answer even with other mixes.

I followed the instructions on the can of WDO. Odd thing is that another part of the project, which didn't receive any WDO, was coated with Spar at the same time, and was completely dry to the touch after 12 hours. Must be the oil. I'm waiting it out now, and it seems to be less tacky, but this is going to take a while!