Woodcraft class and cost

Mzdadoc

I'd just like your opinions to see if I'm being realistic or not.

Took a cabinet making class every Tuesday September and October. The cost was $350 but here's my problem.

We totally finished everything 2 1/2 classes ago. Tonight was the last class. We had a full class size of mostly beginners.

Should I be feeling slighted for the cost with 2 1/2 classes of mostly talking about other WW topics and tonight was going to be about sharpening hand tools.

I take classes on Saturday mornings at the Woodworker Shop. They are free. There is a sort of schedule. If you get there at 8 am they will help you with any problems that you are having. I was having trouble resawing with my band saw. A while back I came in and got a one on one two hour lesson on resawing and it was free. In the past they have done a number of topic. 

I would be upset. That is over a fourth of the classes. I would want a refund of 25-30%. For classes you are paying for time and if they are wasting your time they should pay for it. How would you like to pay for a four course meal and only get to talk about dessert. 

That is a tough call.  If the goal of the class was to make the cabinet, that is what you paid for, then that is what you got, plus a little more.  This is the type of class that if you have a group that catches on quick, asks few questions, I can see it getting done early.  Other groups, they may use every bit of those last 2.5 days.   It sounds like material was covered for those last 2.5 days, so it would be hard to say the class didn't go for its full length.  I am not sure what the issue is.  You completed the project, plus got some extra learning material on top of it.

If you are talking about kitchen type cabinets then I wouldn't suggest anyone take that sort of class. If your talking about real furniture then maybe. For kitchen type stuff you could spend some time in your own shop with a book butchering some wood and walk away with a good understanding.

Professional instructors struggle to keep one hundred percent of their students engaged with way more content available than time. I can say this as it is my job. To expect a non-pro educator to measure up may be a stretch. Your expectation is valid, but the context may never meet it.

Thank you all for your input! Yes I learned how to make a kitchen cabinet top and bottom. I have the base of knowledge to build from. (Pun intended)

Being a beginner my thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. It's because of classes and this forum that has really taken the mystery out of WW for me. On a previous thread and post someone simply said "So you made a mistake. Who cares do it over."

I still read plans wrong and ruined my grandsons biplane project but I bought a long enough turning blank that I could make two more planes. So I thought "Who cares!"

It's because of all of you that make mistakes about learning not about getting angry.

It was actually my wife who just got out of college as a RN that said "Did you learn what you paid to learn?" The answer was yes so regardless of extra time I did learn what I paid for.....