New woodworker in the Southwest

chrisb

I am a relatively new woodworker in Albuquerque, NM.  Previously, my experience has revolved around home maintenance type projects.  However, I am now interested in expanding my skills into simple furniture.  For our first project, my wife and I are working on end grain cutting boards that will end up as Christmas presents if they turn out nice enough.

Currently my shop is modest, but has what I consider the basics.  I am currently fighting with an aluminum top, plastic body table saw that I am interested in replacing. 

Chris.

Hi Chris - welcome!  Its amazing how many people make the jump from "home maintenance" to "active woodworker" :)

Good luck with the cutting boards - walnut is a great contrast to maple, and should make a great looking CB.  I made one recently and it looks nice.

For your saw - hopefully you get to upgrade at some point, but until you do you can do some things to get the most out of your saw.  good/sharp blade, adjust it as best you can (table and/or fence), an outfeed table (or some other type of support) can make a world of difference, and a basic table slaw sled can do wonders to help you cut pieces more safely and accurately.

For your saw - hopefully you get to upgrade at some point, but until you do you can do some things to get the most out of your saw.  good/sharp blade, adjust it as best you can (table and/or fence), an outfeed table (or some other type of support) can make a world of difference, and a basic table slaw sled can do wonders to help you cut pieces more safely and accurately.

I upgraded to a Freud blade and that seemed to help a lot.  I have also looked into building a sled, but my table has miter slots with "tabs" that are making things complicated.