How should I seal barnwood (oak) coffee table?

Mark Gunther

I've been given a barn to dismantle as I wish, and in return I'm building a few pieces for the owners.

This piece is incredibly simple. Hatch door for the table top, door headers for legs, joists for aprons. They want it simple and chunky. It's definitely that!

I've scrubbed the wood clean and all it has on it now is some dust from sitting in the shop for a few weeks. The 1/4 sanded glass I ordered has arrived, so I'm ready to do something with it. But for all my internet research I cannot find consensus (or even vague agreement) on an appropriate sealer.

I just need a matte sealer than will not affect the colour a great deal. I don't mind some depth, but it cannot be shiny or appear varnished. I simply need water resistance.

IMG_1532_1.jpg

IMG_1535_1.jpg

I like to use sael coat shellac, thinned about 50% with denatured alcohol, and wiped on with a rag. One or two coats will soak in enough to give a bit of surface protection, get not form a film that glosses the surface. Might be hard to apply to such heavy texture. It can be sprayed, if you have the rig to do it.

I know you want to avoid darkening the wood, but a curing oil finish like BLO, will help the surface repel house dust and such, yet still feel almost like raw wood.

Have you considered bleaching the wood first, so any darkening brings it back near the original color?

• 4 weeks later...