Has anyone tried Osmo Polyx-oil?

Zignot5

Hi

I'm going to be finishing a coffee table this winter. Has anyone tried Osmo Polyx-oil?

I'm very interested in this product for it's safety ratings. It seems to have the protection that I want with less toxicity. 

If any of you have tried it and have any thoughts I'd like to hear them.

Thanks

Adam

I've actually used it on desks for grade school kids and it does repel most of what they throw at them. The other thing that is nice is that it is easily maintained and repaired. Plus you can still feel the wood rather than plastic. Although the poly oil mixture does leave a nice thin finish that allows you feel the wood. If you are worried about the kid chewing on it, just add a bit of cayenne pepper - it will give the finish a nice red tone and the kid will only chew it once. ;-)

A thick layer of poly will hold up better to bumps and dings, but it is harder to repair if damaged. (harder = more time consuming).

• Like 1

I would have to differ with Particle Board about any non lead finish is kid safe.  One should always check the MSDS sheeds if looking for safe products.  To let you know, I sell OSMO so read into what I post as you wish but OSMO is great stuff.  for $39.00 you get a .75 liter of the #3054 Polyx hardwax oil that (depending on wood and sanding level) covers 190 sf with one coat and it's a two coat system.  Worst thing you can do is overapply this stuff.  Two VERY thin coats and don't leave any puddle or or sit on top of the wood. 

Unless your pouring it in their sippy cup most any finish is safe once cured. The finish should be applied thin enough so that it doesn't peel or chip. More importantly when it comes to kids is the ability to clean. Kids are as nasty as rats. They leave a trail of funk where ever they go. Kids furniture needs to be able to withstand cleaning so as not to spread the funk. Just like a kitchen a plain oil finish should not be used on counter tops or even cabinets.