Gift Exchange Box (Project #2)

keith.d.mullins

I made this box for our White Elephant exchange at church. 

A lot of first in this one.  First ever box joints, first inlay, first time filling grain (thanks to TWW), and first time to face glue dissimilar woods.  Of course it's far from  perfect, but I also learned not to point out mistakes.  Of course now I have request for several more boxes.  It was tons of fun to build and  the Lady who received it was sooooo happy.  That's why I work the wood. 

20150105154219_project2-2.jpg

20150105154204_project2-1.jpg

20150105154237_project2-3.jpg

looks good how did you cut out the cross in the lid? looks realy tight

I used the video that Mark has on doing inlay.  Made my cross, layed it out with an exacto-knife, used a router to cut out all but a few thousands and used a chisel for the remaining bit.  It's not as tight as it looks, there is a hairline of grain filler on the lower left.  However, I'm not telling anyone it's there.

I really liked getting the Smooth High Gloss finish.  I bet I filled the grain at least 6 times.  I had always wondered how people did that, tedious but enjoyable. 

I should add that I also learned how to resaw with a table saw.  The only stock I had available was 3/4"  I needed 1/2" for the walnut and 1/4" for the Maple.  Bought a Freud rip blade that cuts like butter.  Left the blade just below half and flipped each piece.  Hand saw the remainder.  It was safe and effective.

Beautiful box. I like the way the liner wood ended up in your box joints. I've never knowingly seen that. You obviously laminated the light and dark woods together prior to cutting the box joints? 

Yes.  I would love to take credit for the idea but saw a similar design on lumberjocks.  (Can I say that here?)  The woods are walnut and maple.