Attaching the suede

Jim L.

Hello All,

I'm sorry if this topic has already been beaten to death here, but I'm finishing up my Roubo and trying to decide how to attach the suede for the vises- it seems like there are a lot of conflicting opinions.  Marc used 3m spray adhesive, but I read a few forum posts saying that it doesn't hold up well over time.  Benchcrafted recommends contact cement, but I read a few other posts that THAT doesn't hold up well.  I would appreciate hearing from a few of you guys that built the bench years ago- which adhesive did you use, and has anything come loose?

After having a few years with the bench I can confirm that the 3m adhesive doesn't hold up well, as others have said. It works fine, but you'll eventually have the corners peeling away. I switched to contact cement at the urging of a friend and that seems to hold way better. 

Thanks for the update!  When you used the contact cement, did you have to apply it to both the wood and the suede and let it dry for a while like the bottle suggests, or can you just apply it to the wood?

Apply it to both surfaces and let it dry to the level explained in the instructions. The nature of contact cements leaves a slightly flexible joint which allows materials of different qualities to be bonded. Flexible leather and more ridgid wood will expand and contract at different rates. Eventually you may need to use a solvent and peel the leather to replace it or clean it up and re-glue it. Contact cement is much better for this than anything else I can think of.

Anytime you are unsure of using a glue or finish make a test board. You should have some scraps of leather and wood, practice before you tackle the real thing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...