Value of an old Delta Rockwell Bandsaw

JoshC1501

Curious what people think is the value of this saw  Seems awfully high to me.  Been looking for an old Delta saw for curved work so I don't have to change blades all the time.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/4938093532.html

While it is not American made, you can get a brand new Grizzly 14" saw for $550

I made him an offer that that I thought was reasonable, probably insulted him.  He claims it is all tuned up, new tires, new paint, new blade.

Yeah that seems very high. I have the same saw, only a little newer (as in post Korean War instead of post WW2). Mine is in great shape too, but no way would I pay 500 for it, and I'd happily trade it for a brand new Grizzly. Most I'd go for that saw is maybe 200-250 and that's assuming it's tuned up and ready to go.

If that saw is in  "good" to "very good" working order you would have to spend 3 times that for a new saw of similar construction, if you can even buy a new saw of that size/weight. It might be a bit on the high side for me considering it would cost me another 100 to go get it. I live east of muncie, If he would bring it to me. I would most likely pay that if I were in the market for a saw

It has a belt guard, assuming its original equipment its relatively rare and could be sold on eBay for 100$ just by itself. The motor looks original which means likely a 1/3hp maybe as much as a 1/2. If it mentioned the hp I missed it. If the person did a good job painting it, by that I mean they either removed the original paint or at least cleaned it and sanded it down, and controlled the spray, then that is value added. If they just sprayed it gray without regard for the original paint or cleaning, then they made your job harder.

Typically this saw goes for 200 to 400$ in Maryland depending on condition. A fully restored saw with new bearings and a 1.5 hp motor might go for 600.... Maybe. This saw is slightly over priced assuming a good paint job and double the price it should be if a bad paint job. And yes either way he is probably losing money. Used machines pretty much always lose money.

Whoops, missed the other pictures. So yes its a 1/3 hp which is adequate for curves and wholly inadequate for any kind of resawing. It is also a bad paint job. If he didn't even bother to remove the motor before spraying you know he did as little as possible to the saw. The up side is the belt cover looked good. I would max out at 300 for this saw if I really really wanted it. And otherwise max out at 200 if other saws are reasonably common in that area.

Whoops, missed the other pictures. So yes its a 1/3 hp which is adequate for curves and wholly inadequate for any kind of resawing. It is also a bad paint job. If he didn't even bother to remove the motor before spraying you know he did as little as possible to the saw. The up side is the belt cover looked good. I would max out at 300 for this saw if I really really wanted it. And otherwise max out at 200 if other saws are reasonably common in that area.

Im sure there is stuff to be had around here, but it is getting very hard to locate, good deals are only good deals when they happen along when you have the time, money and use for the item. I watch craigs list and ebay nearly everyday and seemingly solid piece of iron don't show it's face in this area very often. Several months ago (maybe a year) I was in the market for a band saw and ended up buying a 14" Craftsman new it was 400 plus tax. I would have bought this saw over the Craftsman given the opportunity, but with hindsight being what it is, I'm not sure that is a well founded line of thought because I am very happy with the saw I got.