Jet 10-20 drum sander paper replacing

duckkisser

I have a jet 10-20 drum sander I need to replace the paper. The sander calls for 3" paper in the book but I happen to have a roll of sandpaper I bought at garage sale that is 2" would I be able to wrap that around my sanding drum or am I stuck buying a new roll of 3" 

I have run this sander for quite a few years and have had success and failures while trying this.  The determining factor has seemed to be the backing.  I had a light weight paper backed roll that I tried with no success. It would break and stretch on me and cause frustration.   Once I switched to a heavier fabric backed roll that I got on a similar sounding deal, I have had great success. 

The greatest break through for me was to finally take my time in cutting a piece, sanding a few scrap boards to allow it to break in and tightening it to the drum, followed by some fine tuning.  Then take it off and make a pattern that you label well before you wear your original out and throw it away, causing you to start all over again.  Not that I would have made this mistake 3 times before making a pattern, but I have heard that some people may be guilty of such an offense. 

Good luck and happy sanding.