Greetings from Cincinnati

sbarron

Hello!

Just dropping in to say hi. I just started getting into woodworking earlier this year. I've got a few projects under my belt, a Nicholson bench, a tool chest, a base cabinet, and various shop jigs. I'm currently working on a humidor from the guild, using redwood burl veneer and wenge accents. Looking forward to building more and seeing what everyone is up to!

The Nicholson is OK. I went with the naked woodworker setup because it was easy and cheap to get me going. My shop is a 2 car garage and this spring I plan to gut it so I can put in a sub-panel and run more outlets and add insulation and heat/ac. After that I want to build the split top Roubo and join the cool kids. I've used the Lie-Nielsen benches in some classes and I think I like having vices better.

I have a poor man's Roubo, built if construction lumber, and only 5 feet long, no split top. The legs are in plane with the edges of the top, one end overhangs the legs, the other has a pipe clamp vice all the way across the end. The only thing I would change is to put a wide apron on one side for working edges. If I had room to make it bigger, I might do a split top with the planing stop filler strip. Honestly, though, I like that it is cheap lumber. No worries at all about beating the living crap out of it, finishing / gluing on it, or even screwing jigs to it in a pinch.