accoustic iPhone "speaker"

Seems like an easy enough project. I wonder how much engineering really went into that design. I know I can hold the phone in my hand and just by cupping my hand a certain way, the sound feels amplified. But really its just being "reflected" toward my ears. I imagine if you make the box, keeping the inside as smooth and clean as possible, you would wind up with a fairly "amplified" effect. Send me one when you try it out ok? :)

I no acoustician but I am a recording engineer and know enough about acoustics to know that you would probably be pretty disappointed in it if you built one or bought one.

It is louder due to the box actually resonating. Everything has a resonate frequency... everything. It sounds like to me (based on the video) that the box has a resonate frequency of probably 1000 hz and while it may seem louder it is in fact just boosting the frequency that the box resonates at.

You can accomplish the same thing placing your phone on a hollow core door or an inverted coffee can.

It's a cool concept and it would probably be pretty good for listening to podcasts but not great for listening to music.