Spray Set Up

Gunther15

Hello all,

I am new to this sight and was wondering if I could get input from someone who know what they are doing.  I am wanting a spray gun that will spray both stains and paint for my woodworking projects.  I have been told that Fugi is the way to go with HVLP spraying systems. Another great option is an earlex but I was hoping to save a few pennies and not buy a whole HVLP System.  I already have a Husky 8 Gal air compressor (Husky TA-2530B) that is rated at 4.0 SCFM @ 90 PSI.  I was thinking about purchasing the Husky Gravity Feed HVLP Spray Gun ( H4840GHVSG ) but its air consumption rate is 4 CFM. Will this work with my compressor?  I have also heard of some LVLP spray guns that might be better suited to my compressor, but don't know much about them.  Any help that could be provided would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sorry for being unclear with what "Paint" I plan on using but I am probably unclear on that aspect myself.  I am just starting out and currently in our house we have some rustic furniture that my wife bought at a local craftshop.  For what she paid for the pieces I thought that I could make them myself.  The pieces she bought have crude joinery techniques and are painted flat black and then looks to be scuffed with a high grit sand paper around the edges to have that "worn" look.  I was planning on just using some water based flat interior paint from HD but I know she also likes the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint so I am sure I will be trying to spray some of that eventually as well. 

I hope this helps, I am unclear myself of what paint I will be using until I try a few out.  If you have any recommendations on what paint to use I of coarse will be open to that as well. 

Thanks,

Gunther. 

I have one of those husky HVLP sprayers, I use it for spraying pigmentent lacquer. It is cheap and does a decent job when you sand between coats but It is a compromise. If you are looking to spray chalk paint I would look towards a sprayer built to spray latex paint such as a airless sprayer, or a three or four stage HVLP.

It is an excessively loud porter cable job boss 150 psi 6 scfm that I bought used. I would not recommend any porter cable air compressor they are loud and don't last nearly as long as a roll air. It works fine with the gun if you remember to give it time to catch up and drain the water in the tank. If you are in the market for an air compressor I would look towards a roll air, they can not be beat.