Old handsaw slightly bend blade

LarsCW

When I moved to the US I took one of my dads old handsaws with me. He has had it for as long as i can remember.

Today when I tried to cut a board of basswood to length, (cross grain?), the blade basically took a life of it's own about 5/8th and that while I kept the blade at 90 degree.

IMG_2651.JPG.6d892190d84a6d3465922f12a44

The blade has a slight bend in it about 6 or 7 inch from the tip.

I won't throw it away but I would like to know if it would be worth spending my time on sharpening and maybe straightening.

Thanks in advance

Edited by LarsCW
Modified location of text

5 minutes ago, James Wright said:

I would defenently repair it, but I would learn the art of sharpening on another saw. there are few things I treasure more then using my heirloom tools and keeping them well toned.

Even if i do not repair it I will not throw it away.

It's a cheap saw, as my dad never spend a lot of money on hand tools but it was a saw i got from him.

Looking over the top of the blade you see the bend on a different location then when you look over the bottom of the blade.

Would this be something that I would have to fix too or is it normal for blades to have a slight bend over time?

You can have the saw professionally repaired by the boutique sawmakers, or you could try it yourself.  Given the sentimental value I would practice with some garage sale/eBay rust lot sales before trying it myself.  I've read how to do it but never tried.  I have a bent garage sale saw with a rotten handle (given free alongside a saw I wanted) to practice on but there are always other projects ahead...

Long story short on the repair it involves a ball pein hammer and making a row of light/invisible dents from each side to retension the saw.  Overdo it and you've stretch the steel out too much and then... well I've not read how to recover. 

If I'm mistaken and this is a backsaw you can probably take the curve out playing with the back. 

I have spent a lot of time and money repairing/restoring/protecting heirloom items.  "Heirloom" need not be an item which was originally expensive - only important to you and/or your family.  It sounds important to you so get a recommendation on a saw doctor and have it fixed.

After that's done and if it were me I might think of just setting that aside and getting a different saw to use/learn on.  After you master saw care and feeding, consider if you then are ready to use that saw.  

What kind of saw would you guys recommend for a low budget replacement?

I have seen Stanley saws

Stanley 20-526 15-Inch 12-Point/Inch SharpTooth Saw

Stanley 20-045 15-Inch Fat Max Hand Saw

For around $12

Are those any good?

I intend to use this saw for everything except my dovetails, for which i have a japanese saw.

I have a Craftsman hardpoint hand saw, I believe it is made by Irwin or by whoever makes Irwins from how the handle looks.  I'd imagine the Stanley's are similar.  You'll find that the hardware store saws work excellently crosscutting softwoods in particular.  They won't rip hardwoods very easily, but if you're not planning on doing that by hand it won't matter much.  Crosscutting hardwood with that saw is rougher than a restored vintage saw I bought, but works well enough.  The vintage saw leaves a smooth surface like a power saw, very nice.  The only defects I find with that one are due to my technique. 

More than which saw, though, the biggest improvement to hand sawing for me was making a sawbench.  Saw horses you can buy at the store are at a height better for a circular saw.  There are plenty of free plans for sawbenches around on the internet.

Finances are limited currently so I expect I will be buying a lot of construction wood.

I ordered some basswood, which you can see on the picture, that i will use for some woodcarving for my wifes birthday in May. Having trouble sawing a straight line with a handsaw is what made me start this tread and that was on the basswood.

I find the $15 shipping for 2 boards pretty steep, so in the future i will have to save up enough to get to order for $200 and get free shipping.

I have read some really negative reviews about Irwin, mainly saying that since they got bought they started using cheaper materials. That was why I went with Narex for my chisels instead of Irwin.

Does being left handed matter when it comes to buying a saw?

20 hours ago, Lee Bussy said:

You have to get one curved the other way. :)

If only it was that simple.

I was thinking more in the way of having a handle that was shaped in a way for a right handed or left handed person.

I know there are many objects these days in life that are designed for either.