Doll House

Isaac

I'm toying around with the idea of making a dollhouse, primarily out of various plywood scraps and cut offs for my niece. She's only 1, which gives me plenty of time to get it to her and for her to enjoy it.

I'm thinking of making the stair case removable to gain access to the little front door. My brother also lives several states away, so I'm thinking of building it with dados and sending the components flat for him to glue up, which could be a fun project for them. He's handy enough to do it.

My sketch up skills are limited, so this model was really for roughing out dimensions and doesn't show the specific details. Not sure yet what level of detail I'll put into it.

Anyone build one of these before? Any suggestions before I get far into it?

I did a little googling, apparently most doll houses are either 1:12 scale, or 1:18, I'm thinking of going for 1:18 to keep it from being enormous. what I'm showing below will be roughly 2'x2'x1' deep.

House 3.jpg

House 2.jpg

House 2 2.jpg

• Like 2

About 5 years ago I did some repair/restoration on a 60 year old dollhouse that was my favorite clients as a girl. She wanted to send it to her granddaughter for Christmas. I hinged the back half of the roof for access . I spent many hours on it but the look on her face made it worth it.

• Like 1