My Wall Hanging Cabinet

Well... looks like I finished just in time for the Adirondack Chair build... and mother's day.

This is a major milestone for me. I got into woodworking years ago with the intention of building furniture. It's been a slow process until the last 6 months ago when I dove in head first. Now here I am with my first completed piece of furniture.

Is it perfectly square? No.

Are the dovetails flawless? No.

Is the finish super even? No.

However, the post mortem can wait for another post. Right now... just look at it. It's a real, functional, fine piece of furniture.

Being the first piece of this complexity, I kept pretty close to the design and build process as Marc outlined in his videos. It's almost entirely cherry, which was pretty nice to work with. I tried to make the carcass so that it was lined with sap wood from the front. This worked pretty well though there are places where heart wood is showing. We'll see how that ages. The handles are made from walnut and cut trapezoidal to match the angle of the dovetails. The door panels are bookmatched and were my first real experiment in re-sawing. The bottom of the drawer is made from some 1/4" bambo ply I had laying around. I pre treated with Charles Neal's pre-stain conditioner and finished with General Finishes' Seal-A-Cell

I'm giving it to my mother tomorrow for mother's day. I can't wait.

post-3014-0-05222100-1304805084_thumb.jp post-3014-0-96685100-1304805084_thumb.jp post-3014-0-85674500-1304805085_thumb.jp post-3014-0-62880900-1304805087_thumb.jp post-3014-0-49254900-1304805088_thumb.jp

You've put a lot of thought into that work. The grain matching in the first photograph is superb. I usually hate handles, but yours seem balanced for the piece - they look just right.

That you provided some close-ups shows that, deep down, you're very satisfied with the piece - as you should be. Thanks for sharing.

Well done, indeed. Your mother will be very proud of you - there's no greater gift than something you've made yourself, with love.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm envious. I am just starting to get more serious about woodworking and haven't yet tackled anything that nice. You did a fabulous job - very nice photos.

Don't be envious, be inspired. As I said, this is the nicest thing I tackled and it came out pretty well.

Also, don't let pictures of other people's work fool you. They make mistakes just like you. Lots of those mistakes don't shop up well in photographs. I tried taking a picture of some dings on the top from a clamping mishap and couldn't get the light right and they disappeared into the photo.

Can't wait to see what you do next.

Cheers,

Erik