A Biscuit Joiner Comparison

Hasselback

It seems that the difference between the PC and the DeWalt entry-level biscuit joiners is about $12.00 on Amazon right now. Would you mind giving me some comparison advice between the two brands? I'm more interested in actual differences in performance/features rather than the "I've used so-and-so forever and never used anything else" type advice.

Thanks gang!

H.

The PC will cut frame size biscuits that the DW won't. With that said, my DW was a good tool, but I discovered I rarely needed biscuits and sold it....haven't missed having one either. On the few occasions biscuits are warranted, I cut the slot with my router. Instead of biscuits I tend to use pocket holes, or actual mortise and tenon joints where strength is critical.

For what it is worth, I have the PC557 and love it. I dont use it a ton, but when I do, I love that I have that one. I like the fixed handle on the front of it, and the the rest moves separately from it. this allows you to hold the fence firmly in place when making the cut.

• 1 month later...

It seems that the difference between the PC and the DeWalt entry-level biscuit joiner is about $12.00 on Amazon right now. Would you mind giving me some comparison advice between the two brands? I'm more interested in actual differences in performance/features rather than the "I've used so-and-so forever and never used anything else" type advice.

Thanks gang!

H.

Did you take a look at the Lamello C5 - that's the supposed Rolls Royce of the biscuit joiner world

:)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're not in a hurry, I'd mention that the Craftsman professional is a rebadged DW with a different handle. And they're discontinuing the line so you've got a decent chance of picking one up cheap.

I got one 2 months ago for $75 from a store manager who didn't know what it was but wanted it out of inventory.

Used to be that DW had a awesome fence. PC copied it (thats the one I got type 1) and from what I understand had some copyright infringement against them.

Since then they (PC) have deveoped their own design.

I dont know how it compares to the DW.

That would be weird since Porter Cable and DeWalt are owned by the same parent company, Black & Decker/Stanley, but nothing about legal stuff ever seems too weird to me having spent 15 years as a paralegal.

I was looking for a biscuit joiner for about a year before I found a good deal on my porter cable. The pc has always been reviewed and compared the best in any review I've seen other than the lamello. If they're the same price why wouldn't you get the PC ? Even if it was $20 more why wouldn't you get the product everyone says is best? Having said this and after a year gone by I still haven't used it! It seemed like a good idea at the time. I just glue everything without biscuits. If I use Joubert I use mortise and tenon or just use my Dowelmax.

I just went through this whole thing a few months ago. I knew I needed a biscuit joiner for a few things but not enough to justify spend $200 on.

I wound up getting the harbor freight unit. I think I paid $40 for it and it works quite well. The fence seemed like junk so I've just been referencing off of my bench.

If I were doing a lot of face frames or something where I used it a lot I'd go with the pc or the makita.

That would be weird since Porter Cable and DeWalt are owned by the same parent company, Black & Decker/Stanley, but nothing about legal stuff ever seems too weird to me having spent 15 years as a paralegal.

This was prior to DW buying Portal Cable. Edited to add history:I went to google just for fun and found this from widepekia:In 2005, the Pentair Tools Group—comprising Porter-Cable, Delta Machinery, DeVilbiss Air Power, and others—was purchased by Black & Decker, now Stanley Black & Decker. Since the purchase by Stanley Black & Decker the company has been systematically discontinuing all of the tool models for which Porter-Cable has been known for over the decades. Tool models that had achieved legendary status for durability and effectiveness, such as the Model 504 Sander, (the "Locomotive" belt sander a direct descendant of Porter-Cable's first "Take-About" which put the company on the map) Model 314 4 1/2" worm gear drive Trim Saw, the 9118 Porta-Plane, and the "Locomotive" inspired 9725 Porta-Band to name just a few. These tools were and are icons of the industry, and tools that though costing a premium, were known to be multi generational in their durability.