table saw dado - plywood

Pbmaster11

When cutting a dado in the table saw cross grain I am getting some serious tear out on my sample cut. I have switched to a plywood sized bit on my hand held router... this is much more time consuming in the setup and cutting process. With much more dust!

I have a 6" STACK from frued.

It is the quality of my dado stack (need more teeth?) or is this the general situation with cross cutting?

I always just use a ZCI and never blue tape that would be far to time comsuming. I have the 8 inch version of what you are talking about. Make yourself a ZCI and you will be fine. Also what type of plywood are you using? Cabinet grade plywood should not tear out like a low grade fir ply. Just a thought.

For those who suggest a ZCI...do you guys make a new one every time you use a new combination of blades? I mean, if you have your stack set up for 3/4" and you use a ZCI, and then you go to make a 1/2" dado, that ZCI is no longer ZC...am I wrong?

I have 5 or 6 ZCIs for various standard and dado blade widths.

Yup serious tearout, did the problem go away after the new insert? For the dado inserts i use scraps of MDF and i have one for 3/4, 1/2 and 3/4 ply (even though the thickness always varies a bit it still gets the job done) When cross cutting I score before a every cut unless its in an unseen area, even though 99% of the time I wouldn't need to the 1% would ruin my day and work piece.

"For the dado inserts i use scraps of MDF and i have one for 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 ply"

Same here... I keep a stack of blanks around for sizes I don't have... Since I don't need the riving knife while dadoing, I make mine reversible, with two slots per insert, by eighths.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned... I crosscut my plywood on shop-made sleds, including dados. By "crosscut", I'm referring to the face veneer.

BTW... some cheap plywoods just WANT to splinter. This includes luan and lots of Chinese birch. "Cheap" is relative. Chinese hardwood plywood may seem expensive, compared to construction grade stuff in the home center, but it's CHEAP when compared to the real deal.

A ZCI helps MUCH more than people naturally seem to assume. It's a pretty common sight around the shop for a newer person to be scratching their head wondering why the new set of blades they just put in are tearing up their material just as bad as the "old" ones. 9/10 it's because their inserts are banged up from someone raising the blade too high. So make yourself a jig to cut them and when in doubt, just throw a new one in.

I was curious and went out to my shop, got my worst dado set and some Chinese plywood and purposely setup the dado so the insert would be of no use to prevent tear out. These are the results.

post-202-0-25076600-1355262183_thumb.jpgpost-202-0-02297600-1355262207_thumb.jpg

A picture showing the clearance between the dado set and the insert.

post-202-0-87623000-1355262227_thumb.jpg

And a couple pictures showing how bad the teeth on the dado set are.

post-202-0-15843800-1355262245_thumb.jpgpost-202-0-14329900-1355262260_thumb.jpg

This is an 8" Freud dado set that's seen better days. I feel if you need to use a zero clearance insert when you cut or dado on the table saw to prevent tear out then your not using the proper blade for the job.