Sanding sealer before Danish Oil?

tonydem

I wouldn't...

The main idea of Danish Oil is an "in the wood" finish.  A sanding sealer might prevent the oil from penetrating and drying properly.  Sanding sealers are great for sealing off a surface for final sanding before a film finish.  Most folks trying to build a Danish Oil finish wet sand with more oil during later coats, making the oil self-sealing.

A sample board is always the safest option.  Grab a decent sized scrap from your project, prepare it, as in sand / scrape / plane, exactly the same as your project, zip a shallow table saw kerf down the middle, and apply sanding sealer to 1/2 of the board.  Once it's dry, apply oil to both sides.  Keep track of which side is which, and all steps, by writing them on the back.   See if you you like the look or if weird things happen...  

If you really like one of the samples, follow the steps you've written on the back of the sample on the actual project.

The wet sanding with oil creates a slurry that fills pores.  It's a judgement call, based on the preferred final look, completely subjective and up to the end user.

Remember, Danish Oil is basically a low viscosity mixture of oil and varnish.  Top coating it simply allows you to save many steps building ultra-thin coat.  I've done sample boards with one side getting 10-12 coats of oil, wetsanding the early applications, and a coat or two of oil followed by a good oil varnish, and the end result looked identical.   The real difference was that the varnished side was finished weeks earlier...   

Steve, I'm glad you like the "gutter" technique!

As the others have suggested, no sanding between coats unless your trying to grain fill. I agree with TRBaker, In my opinion 72 hours is a little soon for Danish Oil to dry and ready for a topcoat. Oak has deep grain pockets and will hold the Danish Oil like a swimming pool to water. I would advise at least a good week. If not, the Danish Oil will try to gas off up through the armrseal and take it forever to dry.

No to the sanding sealer, as mentioned above,  the goal is to have a rich oil looking finish so the sanding sealer would restrict some of the oil traveling down into the wood, also   we don't need to worry about blotching, because oaks aren't blotching woods.

Hope this helps.

-Ace-