Ipe finish

a1606myrsclm

I have been searching for a finish for my back porch. It is Ipe, I love the look of this wood, only wish I could keep a wet look. I found a product called "Super Shield Fluoropolymer", it is a multi layer coating that completely seals the surface of the wood. And it will last for 20 years. Has anyone heard of this product, the website claims it can be use on anything. Here is one of the websites, http://shieldproducts.com/

Sikkens Cetol is what I use on my deck and what the firms here spec on a lot of the exterior wood. The finish should last two years or so. When applied properly, the wood will look freshly cut and actually be moisture resistant...as in the water will bubble on the surface.

Ipe is a damn thick species. You might want to test a corner or side on how well it will absorb the finish.

http://www.sikkens.us/en/about/Pages/default.aspx

• Like 1

I have a deck with ipe and used Sikkens Cetol 1 for the first coat and Cetol 23 for two more coats. Looks great. The best part of using Sikkens Cetol 23 is that the following applications for maintenance in the future will be easy.

I finished several front doors with this finish and they still look fantastic. No cracks .. Still perfect (even 5 years after)

Avoid Man-O-War or hard finishes because you want the finish to have enough elasticity to move with the wood.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I contacted a man in Florida, said he has been using the product since 1976. The only thing he cautioned me about was the application procedure is very involved. I went to their website ( the one I listed) it doesn't seem that bad. He emphasized the thickness was very important. I've decided to try the stuff.

• 4 years later...