Work table for my wife

DrewX10

I'm in the process of making my wife a hard wood table so she can create metal clay jewelry.  Currently she's using a few folding tables and a kitchen counter top to work on.  I have the benefit of my Dad's experience and his shop. My biggest difficulty is making sure that my Dad doesn't do the work for me.  I've got the wood working bug bad but only the weekends free to spend some time on the projects.

We decided to build the top and sides out of 3/4 Red Oak stock.  The table needs to be 6' x 3'.  I started taking the photos of the table after we'd already cut the stock to length and biscuit joined the top together.  The problems with the stock we purchased from Home Depot was evident after we'd joined the stock together. There were some pieces that were cupped a little.  My Dad's friend suggested we clamp a metal bar across the joined pieces to flatten them out.  In hindsight, we should have planed the boards or set them flat for a time.

Attached is the glued up top post-13627-0-27274900-1362369357_thumb.j

My Dad took up the job of building the shelf and routing the edge of the table.  We'd talked about both of these steps.  I'd drawn out an edge on view of the shelf to illustrate how far from the shelf and how far down from the edge a dowel would be placed.  My wife wanted to use this to place her pliers and cutters.  More on this in the next post.

post-13627-0-12710000-1362370310_thumb.j

My Dad's friend and I discussed the problem and came up with a quick solution.  We drew a straight line perpendicular to the bottom edge of the side so that the line just touched the back of the dowel hole. Then we ran that along the table saw, which was a trick considering the shelf is 4' in length. The result can be seen here.

post-13627-0-70914100-1362373128_thumb.j

The top has been sanded down with 100, 150, and 220 grit sand paper using the random orbital sander. The table legs are of a different wood, pine, and therefore have been coated in oil sealer to prevent the stain from going into deep one I've gotten to that phase.  

I almost forgot about the skirt.  We routed the table leg tops to accept a 4" skirt that ran 7" in from the sides of the table top.  The skirt and legs are screwed into the top with pocket screws.  Its all locked together very securely.  Since the day I shot the attach picture, the table has been moved from the shop to my house for the staining.  I can take my time during the week nights to finish up this portion of the project. More photos to come.

post-13627-0-96091800-1362373646_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thats a good thought duck.  She is using a some mobile drawers to stash some of her items in.  That wasn't requested on this project, it could be added.

ok since now it can be used as a table or a work surface so if you wanted to sell it later on as a table.  your next project for her and this hobby is a set of drawers. im guessing you wife has the plastic ones they sell which i find to be too deep. like i said thin that way its not deep.  think of a desk drawer if you want something on the bottom you have to dig.  for measurements go look at a set of tool boxes like they sell at menards.  jusy make a box with drawer pulls in it make some simple drawers that are only 4" deep.  then put the drawer box on casters and she can move it where ever she needs.

this is just an idea that might help out her life i know that it would help out my small hand tool storage.

Duck has a good idea. If the cart is just short enough it could park under the table. You could graduate the drawers, deeper on the bottom, shallower on top. I have some 2 1/2" deep drawers I use for hand tools in my shop. Nothing gets lost cause it is so shallow. Use full extension slides. I would also consider putting some extra weight in the bottom of it to prevent tipping when a heavy drawer full of tools is open. A cement square paving stone comes to mind,