Prodigality Cabinet

Eric.

I have read about it, Steve, but haven't bought any yet.  It's on the list.  I think it was Michael Fortune who did that FWW article, and of course I trust him...but I still have a little concern about finishing problems.  For the time being, blue tape works pretty good. :)  And squeeze-out isn't the part that makes me nervous...

Sweet work Eric. The fit and finish is of the highest standard. If Krenov had festool, this is how he would of done it  :) . Nearly finished cabinet makers notebook and I have enjoyed the read. I will drop you a line with my favorite quotes. Are you going to whittle a knob with a knife like Krenov or do festool have a jig you can strap to a router for that?  ;)

It's been a busy day but I was able to squeeze in a couple hours.  I got the top and bottom shaped and profiled just about the way I want it.  A little more smoothing here and there and it should be good.  What a difference it makes.  Suddenly, some personality.

cab7003.jpg

cab7016.jpg

cab7019.jpg

cab7015.jpg

• Like 1

Completed most of the sanding and started the glue-up.  The thought of gluing this whole thing at once gave me the willies, so I decided to break it down into a couple phases...

cab8005.jpg

This is why I love the split-top!  So many clamping options.

cab8009.jpg

I'll let this dry overnight and glue up the top and bottom of the case tomorrow (the bottom is only dry assembled right now so I could check for square).

Then it's on to the door.

Clamping to a dead flat reference surface assures the sides of the cabinet will be flat.  I had a little movement in one of my case sides...a slight twist and a slight bow...and it's possible if I clamped the case in a standing position, instead of the flat side pulling the bowed side flat, the bowed side could pull the flat side bowed...if ya know what I mean.  It's just a way of eliminating another variable.

Thanks Haydon.  But you may be waiting a while.  I just fit the door...not hinged yet, but I got my first look...and it's screaming for an inlay.  Simple I don't mind...but it's bordering on boring.  I have a few ideas, but I've got a bit of thinking to do before I proceed...

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

So I did.  Once I had the case finished and cut the door to fit, I had my first look at what the near-finished cabinet would look like.  Yawn.  Boring.  The solid, flat door just wasn't working.  But I went ahead with the hinge installation on the door anyway, all the while knowing that it was probably for nothing.

Laying out...

cab9005.jpg

Outriggers...

cab9011.jpg

cab9013.jpg

cab9014.jpg

Nice.  Too bad it was for naught.  I installed the door and it fit perfectly.  Closed it, stepped back, and accepted that it was no good.  Dull, uninteresting.  Sorry, in my depressed state I forgot to take a pic.  I started thinking an inlay would add enough interest to distract the eye from the boring boxiness of it all, but distracting the eye is not the goal.

One additional wrinkle...I noticed the door is beginning to move...just a wee little bit, but movement nonetheless.  A slight twist from corner to corner.  It's a 12" wide, flat-sawn board, and I was a little surprised how stable it has actually been.  But it was giving me a warning: "leave me free and you will pay."

So I regrouped, milled the last bits of my wenge (luckily just enough and nice, straight grain), and set up the table saw for the joinery for the frame.  I decided to go with simple bridle joints to keep it quick and easy...

cab9016.jpg

cab9020.jpg

cab9019.jpg

I haven't fit the panel to the frame yet, nor obviously the frame to the case, but I can tell already this is going to be much better.  I'll try to remember to get before and after pics prior to cutting down the panel.

And I may still do an inlay...we'll see what the door says once it's put together.  I was browsing Gargle images for some inspiration while I was wandering aimlessly through my "woodworker's block," and found one that gets my juices flowing.  Possibilities...

10090531.png