Modular Tool Rest Systems

Chris H

Does anyone have any experience with these?

My lathe only came with a 12" rest that can be too large for pen turning, especially when I get the DC and stuff all setup.

I don't know if I should just buy each rest individually, or if there is a benefit to going with the "Modular" setups.

Any thoughts or experiences as always are much appreciated!  TIA

why not just make your own all it is is rolled steel.  do you have access to a grinder, hack saw and some kind of blow torch or welder?  for about 50 bucks you could buy enough steel to make every possible tool rest you will ever need.  but all you realy need is a 12" 6" and a s curve is helpfull.  i saw a video where the guy bought a extra tool rest the part that slides on the lathe.  then he made his own tool rest that he put into the two tool rest bases.  he was making base  ball bats so he needed a tool rest that he could slide down the entire wood blank.  so it ended up being a 36" tool rest.

if you wanted it to be modular you could drill a hole in the center of a steel rod  and then you just thread and tap the different parts. any shop should have the right tools that you need.

I never really considered making my own, only because I have no welding experience or equipment.  I have a torch for sweating pipes, but I don't know if that would get hot enough to bond steel.  

Can you buy "rolled steel" at local hardware stores?

not shure but there has to be a metal place in the area.  look up machine shops bring in your tool rest and then you can at least ask there advise.  a tool rest is nothing more then a piece of metal you can place your tools on.  does not have to any special metal its shape thats important and that the metal wont crack or shatter from the pressure from the cutting.

if you get it bent and cut at home alot of places might weld for free or for a few bucks thrown there way.  auto body shops have welding equipment as well.  use map gas rather then propane to heat it because it will heat faster.  map gas just gets way hoter.