Coaster Set

sethhoover

Found these pics on my computer today and decided to share the project here!

Last year for Christmas my bachelor brother received his first dining table from our father. When I called him up asking what he wanted for Christmas he said "Since I have a new table, I guess I could use some Table Accessories!" 

Not knowing what qualified as table accessories I went to google and started searching, then decided I could probably come up with some kind of coaster set.

At the time I was working on some small "cheese board" style end grain cutting boards as a family gift, and had lots of scraps, of maple and poplar. 

Since these were small scraps of wood I didn't use a plan, I just started gluing stuff together to see what would happen, thinking "if this doesn't work out I can always buy some wood, develop a plan, and then build the coasters."

The coasters are maple and poplar butt joints. if you look close there are a few pieces that are trimmed off of the cutting boards that make perpendicular pieces.

The case was again "Lets see what happens!" For the sides of the case I used a piece of 3/4" maple and the table saw to "mill them" down to 1/4". Then I put a small rabbit all the way around the base, glued the sides up and let it dry. It wasn't till the glue dried that I realized that the box needed more strength, so I used the router table to hollow out the poplar for corners and glued that on. Last I slowly cut the angle out using the table saw, so that the angle on the base and sides matched.

Finish is three coats of Danish Oil.

post-6891-0-80307800-1364593991_thumb.jp

post-6891-0-91641800-1364594011_thumb.jp

post-6891-0-20990200-1364594035_thumb.jp

post-6891-0-17588900-1364594057_thumb.jp

Thanks all,

sethhoover,

Nice coasters. Dig out some of that scrap wood you have and use it to make more! You can never have enough coasters. Check these out that I did using Wood mags design, cleaned up a lot of scrape wood

NYHump, I like your design too, and according too your profile we share a birthday! Hope it was great!