YouTube Videos Auto Playing - how to stop?

BigE

How do I keep the YouTube videos embedded in the forum posts from auto starting / playing? On the actual YouTube site, I have to push the play button, but they just start up and get going automatically on this site.

Very, very annoying, especially if it starts playing before you have scrolled down to the video, or if this is your 3rd or 4th visit to the page to read a reply, or if you have several tabs open.

I'm running the latest version of Firefox, Windows 7. I've tried installing various YouTube plugins that are supposed to buffer / never play / etc. but none of them seem to work inside the forum, only on the YouTube site. I haven't been able to find any options in the control panel, either.

Thanks,

Steve

This is part of of the embed code on the site itself, set by whoever posted the content.  For example, on my blog, I have an embedded video that wordpress automatically embeds when I insert the URL to my video.  By default it does not autoplay.  I can override that default by adding "&autoplay=1" to the end of the URL.

Consider turning on the option "click to play" in firefox. It isn't well documented, but it's not that hard to turn on

1) In the url bar, type 'about:config' then press Enter

2) in the Search bar, type 'click_to_play'

3) Double click the 'plugins:click_to_play and change the value from 'false' to 'true'

After that, then all plugin players will require you to click them before they play.

If you want to white-list a site, you can click the purple lego-icon next to the url field and set it to always allow a particular type of plugin.

I use it for security reasons, but it also allows you to control what runs in your browser to avoid this kind of annoyance.

You can also use NoScript, but it's not as simple as "click-to-play".

• Like 1

Is this happening for anyone else? I'm using a Mac and I don't have this behavior on either Chrome or Firefox. I looked at the source code for the video embed and it doesn't look like it's forcing an autoplay either. 

Regardless, it looks like you have it worked out on your end. I just want to make sure this isn't happening for everyone, because autoplay is very annoying.

When I first found this forum I was having trouble on an iPhone. Videos would auto play in Safari. More recently the embedded videos simply do not appear. Instead a large empty space appears in a post. I am not complaining as I do not expect full functionality from a mobile browser. I am simply reporting my experience.

I am sorry to have wasted your time with my previous post but it occurred to me tonight that I erred. When I first found the forum I loaded the IPB Mobile app on my phone. I do not remember why but it seems at some point I was prompted to. This app has problems with auto loading embedded video. This is why I switched to using Safari on my phone. Again, sorry.

I typically run only in Chrome, and have never had videos here go into autoplay.  (some news channels, however, I do get autoplay on.)  I usually turn down the sound on my computer (I think I'm an HP... at least 3 years old now and getting close to upgrade time), so sometimes I miss the start of the video when I have more than one window open.  This does cause issues when I go back to that tab and discover that not one but six videos have gone by.  (I keep the sound off because of the times/locations when I do finally get to use the computer...)

this does not happen for me either.

also, that setting in firefox is not there in my version.  if it is a plugin then you would have to go find it and then install it first.

if it is only in the later versions then that might be the problem as I refuse to update to anything newer than 10.0.2

robert

I have tested the YouTube feed from the free site on various flavors of Windows PCs (Windows XP, 7 and 8) no problem with Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10

No problems on Linux Red Hat server 5 running Chrome or Firefox, nor any problem on Linux Fedora running Chrome or Firefox.

There are also no problems on the Guild site with the same combinations.

Must be something weird set up on my end, probably a plugin or setting that I tweaked. I got the same behavior on both my laptop and my desktop, but then again, I probably have the same settings between them. Thanks for your help guys. Problem solved for now on my end. As a bonus, all Flash ads now request to be "played". lol.

• 2 weeks later...