Quick gloat

nateswoodworks

I just received my Bedrock 604 that I won from E-Bay for $39, pattent date April 2 1895. The tote is broken and I like them matching so I will make the knob as well and the japaning is only about 50%. For me this is the fun part, my kids and I will do electrolysis and we are going to re-japan it as well, making memories with my kids and getting a new handplane-win win. Some may scold me for not leaving it be, I am never going to sell it and someday my kids will have them so resale is not an issue-memories are.

Nate

:( I don't have any hair other than on my chin and eyebrows that I plan on keeping and I would make a pretty wierd looking Japanese dude so thats out.

My kids already refer to the planes as ours, I wouldn't have it any other way. I will post before and after pics when we are done, we were going to do it tomorrow but my son is sick:( so we will have to wait and see.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Can you post a few pics of the jappaning process please? I am very interested in this as I have a bunch of hand planes that need re-jappaning. Do you have any usefull links that show the process?

I think it is a great thing to restore these tools properly as they will be useable for many years to come. Plus you are restoring them to their formare glory.

Can you post a few pics of the jappaning process please? I am very interested in this as I have a bunch of hand planes that need re-jappaning. Do you have any usefull links that show the process?

I think it is a great thing to restore these tools properly as they will be useable for many years to come. Plus you are restoring them to their formare glory.

Cody, I don't know how Nate will re-japan his Bedrock 604 plane but I did find this article that does explain how to japan a plane body, but also recommends using a particular brand of spray-on engine enamel instead of going through the japanning process.

• Like 2