Shellac Issues

TennesseeYankee

I have a dresser top that I wanted to put one or two layers of poly on top of the previous finish to hide some scratches. I thought that I would put a thin layer of shellac on first since it is a universal binder and I am unaware of what the previous type of finish is on the dresser.

When I put the shellac on, i almost immediately got hazy/cloudy streaks. I figured this is no big deal, let it dry and then put a layer of poly on top. After the poly dried, to my horror, the streaks were still there.

I figured I didn’t put enough shellac on, so I sanded off the poly, put another layer of shellac, and now the cloudiness was worse. I freaked and thought, “I better get this shellac off” so I took straight alcohol and wiped the top. Now the WHOLE top is one cloudy mess.

What can I do to get this cloudy mess gone? Sanding down to the wood is only a last option.

Thanks.

P.S. Any ideas on what the original finish on the dresser was?

P.S.S. I read on another blog that a person recommended using a heat gun to cause the haze to go away. I tried it and for the most part, the really bad spots lessened in severity, but overall, it is still hazy.

It actually sounds like the previous finish was a colored shellac, but I don't think that's the case. Whatever is on the dresser already seems to dissolve in alcohol. Try that out on an area you haven't tried yet to see if the surface softens, comes off, or flushes. Again, don't think it was a whitish shellac, but who knows. Hmm, could it be wax build-up on the dresser? If the test spot of alcohol clouds, take mineral spirits and wash that area down, let it dry, then apply alcohol again. The alcohol should just soak in and evaporate.

Report back what you see so we can make other uneducated guesses :)