Delta Contractor 2 Table Saw Model 36-600

toneslinger

About 10 years ago, at one of the big box stores "HD" I purchased my first (what I thought was The Big Guns) floor standing table saw. It was called the Delta Contractor 2. (36-600) For 10 years I've used it off and on with mixed success. I have aligned it, set it up, tuned it over the years but never have been able to get a very clean, non burning, saw mark free, cut. I've even tried the high end blades on it. Also, the motor tends to bog down really easily in anything greater than 1/2" sheet goods. About 5 years ago, I finally parked it under my workbench and have rarely used it and bought one of the cheap ryobi bench top saws that I've had great results with very small pieces that needed cut and ripped. I even put a 7 1/4" thin kerf blade on the ryobi and have even been able to rip inlay strips with fairly accurate success.

So recently i've thought about selling the Delta and getting another used table saw. In researching trying to find a good price to sell it for, i've found that its been hard to find any actual information on the Delta Contractor 2. Was wondering if anyone had heard of it, knew anything about it, or has any input on it.

tablesaw.JPG

Hmm, dunno, I typed "delta 36-600" into Google and the first page is full of relevant hits. Second one (for me) is this one from epinions. You can at least read the reviews looking for the price they paid for it and when. First review I pulled up said he got it on sale at HD for $365. A site with replacement manuals even had the manual for it so I think you can find all the documentation you need there.

As for resale price, that's more difficult to find... well, nevermind, I went and did this search and found a ton of CL listings for that saw, some only 2 weeks old. Use that as a basis.

I was under the impression that the Delta 36-600 and Delta Contractor II were two different saws. The 36-600 is a compact cast iron saw with steel legs, universal motor, small cog belt drive, 22" deep and 38" wide...it was the predecessor to the more recent TS300. I always thought the Contractor II was a full size basic contractor saw with an outboard belt drive induction motor.

My 36-600 was a little loud, a little small, and a little light compared to a full size contractor saw, but it actually performed quite well. I even had a full kerf blade on it, and ran an 8" stacked dado set on it, which makes me wonder why yours isn't performing better. The 36-600 sold new with a street price in the $300 range, with an MSRP of ~ $400. I doubt it'd bring much if it's not functioning well...even if it was working great, I doubt it'd fetch more over $150.

I had that saw also,with no issues until I flat out wore it out and threw mine away it wasnt worth fixing. Anyway I still have the owners manual and also the dado insert. Looking to sell either of those if you want them to add to your sale.

I never experienced the preformance issues you describe though, I was able to rip 8/4 (Maple, Walnut and cherry)with little issue other than having to go slow. My issue was the sheet metal started flexing and could not hold the blade in alignment any more also the fence started slipping. but it did build 4 rooms of furniture in the ten years I had it.

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever I price out a machine (either to buy or to sell) I look at what comparable machines are going for in my area. I will probably be selling my Ridgid 3650 pretty soon because I have almost completed the restoration of my old delta unisaw. In figuring out how much to sell my ridgid for I went to craigslist and looked at what other folks are selling their ridgid and comparable saws for. I also looked a bit on ebay in my local area. Within 10 or so sales I was able to get a pretty firm idea on how much my machine is worth in my area based on its present condition.

I suggest you do the same. Your location will make a big difference. When I look at sales of machines near Washington DC (which is close to me) it is very different to the sale price of machines in say Northern California.