I cleaned my table saw today

Bobby Slack

Guest Mahoganus

Wow. I was looking down my saw blade and even though I like to keep things clean, I was amazed by the how much sawdust and shavings I had in the sawblade cavity. All clean now. I got to thinking, this can't be good and also how many saws are never cleaned up. Then ... fire hazard.

Yeah I just cleaned mine the other day. Mine was real bad,, when I would turn the saw on I had saw dust blowing up and out around the blade area lol. :o

A large project this summer filled the cabinet of my table saw with saw dust. I did not realise how much sawdust I was making, even though my shop is called Uncle Steve's Sawdust Factory. After the saw popped the overload button a couple of times, I opened the side access panel. The cabinet was mostly full. I do not have a dust collector attached to my saw. By removing the bottom slanted plate, the saw dust can go right to the floor. It makes for a little more sweeping, but the saw does not trip the overload button now. The saw dust is simply swept into a floor opening, and goes to the lower level of my barn/shop.

Sometimes I don't run the DC for "just this little set of cuts". Couple of those in a row and the DC tube is full. But more so, the dust the dust shroud doesn't capture drops to the bottom of the cabinet. I have to remember to vacuum that sometimes.

It was definitely clean the shop day today for me. I routed spline slots in ply and maple then flushed them with a router and hand plane. Looked like hamster heaven in there this morning. Tidy now :)

One idea is to get a drain pan. Looks like one you use to drain a transmission with. Rectangle and has a screen in the middle. Cut the screen part out. That will leave about a 4" opening. Place it on top of a five gallon bucket or smaller and put it under the table saw. It will collect alot of the droppings :D Then you just empty the bucket when your finished.