Brush Mower

Chris H

Alright, I know this has nothing to do with Woodworking, but I've never gotten bad advice here, so I thought what the heck, lets see if anyone knows...

We own 10 acres, about 2 of which is lightly wooded, with grass that has grown up to about 6' tall.  The terrain is rough, and there are tons of rocks mixed in.  I don't think a traditional mower would survive, and my weed eater just isn't cutting it (pun intended).  Ideally I'd like to stay <$500, but the machine is going to get worked pretty heavy year over year, so I don't want to cheap out either if needed.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good heavy duty weed eater or light duty brush mower.  Primary task is to cut grass and brush no thicker than ~3/4" in diameter?  

As always, thanks for your help.   

Shaffer has the right idea!

I know here that you could hire someone to do it with their equipment for about that amount.

The local farmers here love to have hay in those fields and will pay the owner for the right to mow it and collect the hay each year.

I have a farmer that hays about 5 acres on the lot, but the brush is down a ravine, and lightly wooded, trees every 10-15 feet, around a step crick, so you can't safely get a tractor or deck style machine down in there.  Because of rocks and severely uneven terrain, I think it will have to be an open front unit, like an uber weed eater.  

Ah..  In that case how about goats? They're awesome!

We have a couple local people that own large amounts of goats and rent them out to your land to take care of this exact problem.  They eat everything!

Beyond that, I'm out of quick easy ideas, would have to be back to the tedious hand work.

We need to knock down the weeds to start some landscaping.  There is a nice leveled off area with a beautiful fire bit by the crick.  Unfortunately we don't yet live on the land (that is for next year), so we only get out there every few weeks, sometimes months.  The grass grows up and I would like a reasonably fast way to knock down the weeds to keep the fire bit area, and the path to it accessible.  

I don't have a picture available at the moment,but I will go digging and see if I can find one.  

I did that kind of work for ten years in high school and college. If a tractor cannot drive it, you won't comfortably walk a machine that is not strapped to you. String trimmers that are commercial and are harnessed over your shoulders are a breeze to operate. Metal blades can be used with them but it is almost always easier to cut the brush by hand and leave the string on your machine. A tiny chainsaw makes a breeze of clearing small brush.

Brush Hog and flail mowers are not like your grandfather's. Newer versions operate directly off of hydraulics and can be side boomed for slopes without any risk of U joint strain. Both types also have blades that swing away making rocks non-catastrophic. Brush Hog flails will cut anything your tractor will drive over. Two inch trees and concrete blocks alike. It does take a toll and is loud but I watched a man do it and cut grass after. You would have to be talking about very many large rocks or very steep slopes to keep me from trying it on a tractor, but then I have tested the limits in unusual ways=-) Either way, if it's acres it's Work.

I have to add, if deck machines of all types are a no go and you cannot make a string trimmer work, use your wood tool sharpening skills and buy a scythe. It takes a weird swing until you get used to it but a sharp scythe cuts right through thick grass all day long. My guess is though that you are not swinging a truly commercial string machine.

Thanks for the feedback.  I think we are going to go with a commercial string trimmer.  Because of the rock, I don't know if a metal blade is the best option from the stand point of both the blades lifespan and the safety issue. 

Thanks again!

I have a walk behind brush Trimmer. It's basically a 6hp weed wacker that uses string that is almost 1/4" square. Rocks, sticks and junk is no problem. I let my field get tall and cut it once a year so it usually about 3ft tall. It's no problem to knock it down to about an inch.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-22-in-Gas-Walk-Behind-Wheeled-Trimmer-946152/202691276#.UdAwkcu9KK0

They range from 3 to just over 5 hundred.