Revisiting PM1500 Bandsaw

Boatworks Today

If it will tension a 1" blade, the Woodmaster CT 1.3TPI is an awesome resaw blade.  I'm running one on a 24" Centauro.  I tried both a Resaw King and Trimaster on a 14" Delta.  I know it's not exactly a fair comparison with those two saws, but the Woodmaster is both faster, by a LOT of course on the bigger machine, and smoother cutting than either of the others.  The Woodmaster does require a LOT of tension though.

==>If it will tension a 1" blade

That's kind of the key issue I ran into... I got too much deflection, so backed-off to 1/2" blades...

==>I'm running one on a 24" Centauro.

That's the kind of extrapolation that led me down a poor decision path... The PM1500 is robust for a small footprint -- it's really a scaled-down version of the PM1800... It's way above all 14" and many 16"/17" saws, but not when you get to 24"....

On the 14", I liked the Trimaster better than the Resaw King.  If all the planets were aligned, the RS gave a great finish, but was a bit finicky demanding exactly the right, not too high, tension.  The Trimaster, not being designed for wood cutting to start with, never had quite the quality of finish that the RS did at its best, but better than the RS any other time.  The Trimaster was not as finicky as the RS, just crank the tension up and go, and to be sure, just crank it up a little more.  The Trimaster is also a little slower cutting, but not by much, but not as finicky as the RS demanding just the right feed speed.

Timberwolf blades cut great when they are new, but they don't stay in new condition very long at all.  I won't be buying any more of them.

This is just my limited experience use.  I don't claim to be an expert, but we did run them all day, every day, for a couple of weeks, and I played around with different woods while I had the blades on the 14".  The Woodmaster will stay on the big saw.  I already sold the Resaw King, and will probably sell the Trimaster, since that saw will never do much resawing again.

The 1" Woodmaster is actually cheaper than either of those 1/2" blades.  It was $200.16 for a 14'10" one new.