Ridgid 5" RO sander r2601

rodger.

My sander died a few weeks ago (in the middle of a project of course), so I brought it in for a repair. After a day, the tech called me and told me that ridgid no longer makes my sander (r2600). Because ridgid cannot repair the tool, they said they would send me a replacement.

A week later a refurbished r2601 arrives from FedEx. I take it to task right away, and I was dissapointed with the unit.

First, it does what it is supposed to do. It sands and orbits just fine, and the dust collection is quite good when using the dust deputy.

The issue is that I feel ridgid "cheaped out" when designing this sander. Many of the features that I chose the previous model for are now removed. The 2600 had an extra long cord and a nice Velcro cord wrap, as well as an illuminated cord end. It also came in a hard case. All of these features are gone now, the cord wrap replaced by a cheap moulded clip and the case a soft bag. The previous model also came with two pads, one Velcro and one adhesive pad. Ridgid no longer includes the adhesive pad.

I would not buy this tool today. It's a good temporary replacement; I will use it for a while before I buy a higher quality unit. To be fair though, it's a relatively inexpensive unit to begin with.

post-6372-0-35511000-1376088275_thumb.jp

Franklin - Do you know what part broke? I have ordered multiple parts for my 2600 (in fact, just ordered another brake and a new bearing, because it trashed two brakes in a matter of hours. Thus far it's been incredibly easy to repair myself. I can't fathom that Ridgid can't repair the tool when I can easily order new parts from ridgidparts.com.

Franklin - Do you know what part broke? I have ordered multiple parts for my 2600 (in fact, just ordered another brake and a new bearing, because it trashed two brakes in a matter of hours. Thus far it's been incredibly easy to repair myself. I can't fathom that Ridgid can't repair the tool when I can easily order new parts from ridgidparts.com.

The tech told me it was a circuit board, or module, or something similar sounding. He told me ridgid no longer had parts for it.