FineWoodworking correction on Air Cleaners

JohnnyNoName

I'm in agreement with what Oneida said in some episode I saw. The basic gist was that air cleaners are only for prepping the air for a finish. If there is dust in the filters of the air cleaner, it's in your lungs, too. Save the money and buy a better DC unit and a comfortable respirator. I bought an air cleaner years ago that is still new in the box. Someday I may finally hook it up, but only because I already own it.

I have always believed that you deal with the potential problem at the source then remediate as needed.

Good dust collection at the source be it a table saw, sander, etc is essential.

That said, I have 2 air cleaners in my shop.

It works for me and perhaps that's the best measure.

Call me caviler about safety, but I don't see what the big deal is. If is had been an article on the danger of airborne dust, than Fine Woodworking would have been guilty of committing a HUGE error. However, that's not what the article was about. It was a review of ambient air cleaners. While the danger of airborne dust is certainly relevant to ambient air cleaners, their understatement of the dangers of dust had no impact on the performance and ratings of the air cleaners. The Jet was still the cheapest and the best, the Powermatic was still difficult to remove the filter on, etc. We all know airborne dust is dangerous, so to the fact that it's more dangerous than implied, I say "duh." I'm still glad they rated the air filters and I'm still pleased with the Jet I bought based on their recommendation. No, it's not a panacea to the dangers of dust, but I never expected it to be.