Douglas Fir Kitchen Island

darla

Hello darla, 

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what kind of style your going for but many old table tops and counter tops in utilitarian setting were "scrub tops". That is to say no finish was applied and they were just scrubbed clean creating a distressed look over time

If that sounds a bit too crude try Hardwax oil. I know you said no oil but this is quite different http://www.fiddes-usa.com/CONTENT/HARD-WAX-OIL.html . Even water based finishes that offer some kind of protection will have some kind of chemical within, it's just the solvent used to carry them if different, i.e water instead of oil.

Hope that helps.

If you are going to use the island as a cutting board then use mineral oil. When the US forest products lab tested wood cutting boards they were cleaned and then wiped with mineral oil. It soaks into the surface and does not dry, in fact it evaporates and will need to be renewed periodically .

The Hardwax oil is another good choice if you are going to just use it as a food prep area.

Do a little research and read about food safety and wooden cutting boards.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips.  I have used strictly wood cutting boards for years, and I never oil them.  I wash them with hot soapy water and let them dry.  I have never had an issue with cross contamination or food borne illness.  My understanding is oiling the boards blocks the woods natural antimicrobial properties. http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm  Thanks for the thoughts here, I will do some more homework.  

• 1 month later...

Finally... I have been wracking my brain for weeks on how to darken up my the top of a kitchen island that will be used as a cutting board..  It is nearly done and due to be delivered tomorrow.  Tea staining. Ta Daaa!!!   How much simpler could it have gotten?  Just thought I would throw that out there.  Happy Thanksgiving guys!   :P