Bullseye Seal Coat before poly?

went_postal

Well, it really won't hurt anything either way. But some stains won't require it. If you are using a dye or something without much binder in it, that means the color is essentially sitting in and on the wood with very little holding it to the surface (such as a homemade dye). So this can benefit from a light coating of shellac to lock in the color. But many stains contain a binder and are perfectly ready for a topcoat right after it cures. But if you were to add a coat of dewaxed shellac, it wouldn't hurt anything.

Well, it really won't hurt anything either way. But some stains won't require it. If you are using a dye or something without much binder in it, that means the color is essentially sitting in and on the wood with very little holding it to the surface (such as a homemade dye). So this can benefit from a light coating of shellac to lock in the color. But many stains contain a binder and are perfectly ready for a topcoat right after it cures. But if you were to add a coat of dewaxed shellac, it wouldn't hurt anything.

Didn't use a dye... There were a lot of recommendations to go that route but product had already been bought and less difficult wood was already stained in the color I was looking for. I used Varathane's Oil Based Colonial Maple (after putting on a 2:1 washcoat of the Seal Coat).

I am just being impatient... Trying to reduce some steps here. =) I will be a good boy and do the 2 coats of Seal Coat and at least 2 coats of the Arm-R-Seal. =)

I am keeping Rustoleum in business all by myself over here... So they can kiss my butt... using the General Finishes for a topcoat. =)

Thanks for the comments y'all.

I second what Marc advised, forgo the shellac (its over kill) and proceed straight to the Arm-R-Seal. The Arm-R-Seal is tough as it gets. :)

-Ace-

ps.....don't take shortcut's finishing or the finishing will take shortcut's on you...measure twice cut once!!!!!!!!!!!

Too late... Already got myself all high putting on the seal coat's first run.

Holy Crap that stuff stinks. =)

I figure I am TECHNICALLY only loosing one day doing this.