difficulty level?

ramen77

Welcome to the forums Ramen!

It's hard to answer because we don't know what those "small projects" were and what your abilities are.  We also don't know what you have for tools.  "Advanced" could mean something totally different to you than it does me as well.

Now, with all that said, the way that Marc does these videos you should be good.  If you get stuck somewhere, post the issue up here and the good people here will help you out.  In the end, if you want to build this project, go for it!

Good luck!

Marc has said that he stopped assigning a "difficulty level" to his projects because he kept seeing first timers turning out excellent results on projects that he would consider "advanced".  The videos really go step by step through the entire operation; there's no "now glue up the panels" with an assumption that you already know how to do that.  Unlike shows with a fixed time slot, the Guild projects take as long as they take, so Marc doesn't have to skip anything.  And, if you aren't sure about anything, the folks on this forum, and Marc himself, are available to answer questions.

So, I'd say, jump right in and go for it!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input and feedback everyone - I understand what you guys are saying and I apologize for being unintentionally vague. But from what I've read on the forums there seems to be an excellent resource of info and support, so ill have to just dive in and go for it! Thanks again!

Thanks for all the input and feedback everyone - I understand what you guys are saying and I apologize for being unintentionally vague. But from what I've read on the forums there seems to be an excellent resource of info and support, so ill have to just dive in and go for it! Thanks again!

Good on ya!  I really don't think you'll regret it!

I am a beginner also learning a lot, Im about to finish mine, the only negative on these bigger projects, is time. They are very long to do for me. It get to the point you want to build something else. (I mostly did it on weekend too, so it depend of the schedule of course).

Hi Ramen,

I am fairly new, as well. This has been a fun project for me. As Carl said, time may be an issue. Or, said differently expect to spend a lot of time on this project. I haven't been keeping track but I'll guess I have over forty hours into this and I'm half way through the plugs now. I'm slow. It takes me time to think through things and set the tools up, etc. The secret drawer and framing alone took me two solid weekend days! Do you have a jointer and a planer? Lots of clamps for glue ups? If so, and you're not in a rush, go for it. Alternatively, you could try another of his projects as a warm up.

Welcome to the forum!

Indeed. Rome wasn't built in a day...If I'm not mistaken, I think a good portion of the guild are weekenders like us, some with more tools than others. But I think you'll find that most of us are lacking in at least a few items for every guild build - sometimes it's just another excuse for that new tool (3/8" mortise punch, anyone?) Seriously, Marc has some really choice tools (thousands of clamps, Festool-apalooza, and more Japanese chisels than Mr. Miagi), so it's easy to either get tool envy or think you need something that you really don't. I'm saying this, because I just received this week a wonderful package from Lost Art Press: the much-awaited translation of Andre Jacob-Roubo's "Art of the Menusier", an 18th century work that answers the question "is it the man or his tools?" Indeed a great reference to remind us that with enough practice and skill, we can all build things in our own workshops, stand back, and say "Wow! I built that!" 

• 2 weeks later...