Draw a line down the length of a piece?

schu777

I'm working on building a tap to make threads for a wooden nut/screw.  I've researched the process of doing this and found a few different ways.  A few days ago I got Roy Underhills "The Woodwright's Work Book" and in the chapter building the tap, it tells you to draw 6 to 8 (or however many you want) lines going down the length of the tap.  Of course if you do 6 lines, they will need to be equally spaced out around the dowel, but how does one draw the length of a line down the dowel?

Thanks, Michael

PS: If this isn't clear, please let me know and perhaps I can provide a picture of what I want to accomplish.

You could make a jig to hold the dowel. All you need is a corner that you can clamp the dowel into, and a straight edge against which you can run a marking gage. Two straight boards joined to form a V will do the trick. Ideally, the dowel diameter will be the same as the length of the legs of the V.

Since this is the turner's corner, I assume you have a lathe.  Most lathes have an indexing feature which allows you to lock the spindle in a number of equally spaced angles.  Use th indexing feature in conjunction with your tool rest to draw lines along the length of dowel mounted in the lathe.

Mike M - I wish I had that nice of a lathe, this is an old one and just gets me by for now till I find I need a nicer one.  That feature would work WONDERS for this.  I did find a solution (close to what wtnhighlander posted) - http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/skills/simplifying-straight-lines-on-dowel-rods/  That makes it pretty simple for what I need.  Once I have marked 6 or 8 spots equally around the dowel, I then can go to my table saw and put it in the miter slot and draw a nice line.

Thanks, Michael