Vise gloat!!!!!

Ben H

Sorry guys, my wife is simple not excited enough for my liking! ;)

There was a dude on CL selling a vise. Old wilton out of a school for 35.00. Good deal, right? It got better. So I went down to pick it up. Turns out he had 4 of them exactly the same, for 35 each. They were 7x4 not quick release. Date stamp 3-10-63. I thought, hmmm..... should I buy all 4 of them. I really don't have the extra 70 bucks, but it was a decent deal. Then the dude pulls out a Sheldon. He says it won't move. You can turn the screw, but it doesn't slide. "I'll take 10 bucks for it." I thought it's worth a 10 dollar gamble. :unsure:

So I bought two Wiltons and the Sheldon, 80 bucks total. Got em home and started to tinker with the Sheldon. I take it apart to find a quick release mech in the back jaw housing. Holy @#$% I thought :blink: . It's PACKED with old dirt and grease. A quick scrub and I throw it back together. IT WORKS! :D

I deffinately keeping the Sheldon, not sure about the Wiltons yet. I might hand on to them for future benches, or give a fellow WW at a good price. I'm in the process of a tear down rebuild on the Sheldon. I'll post picks when completed.

Guest Mahoganus

Sorry guys, my wife is simple not excited enough for my liking! ;)

There was a dude on CL selling a vise. Old wilton out of a school for 35.00. Good deal, right? It got better. So I went down to pick it up. Turns out he had 4 of them exactly the same, for 35 each. They were 7x4 not quick release. Date stamp 3-10-63. I thought, hmmm..... should I buy all 4 of them. I really don't have the extra 70 bucks, but it was a decent deal. Then the dude pulls out a Sheldon. He says it won't move. You can turn the screw, but it doesn't slide. "I'll take 10 bucks for it." I thought it's worth a 10 dollar gamble. :unsure:

So I bought two Wiltons and the Sheldon, 80 bucks total. Got em home and started to tinker with the Sheldon. I take it apart to find a quick release mech in the back jaw housing. Holy @#$% I thought :blink: . It's PACKED with old dirt and grease. A quick scrub and I throw it back together. IT WORKS! :D

I deffinately keeping the Sheldon, not sure about the Wiltons yet. I might hand on to them for future benches, or give a fellow WW at a good price. I'm in the process of a tear down rebuild on the Sheldon. I'll post picks when completed.

Sweet nice finds, figures the nut was packed.