My trip to my lumber dealer today

Freddie

Correction! I called the dealer back and he clarified that the ply is $2.78 per sqft, so the sheet is $88.96. That sounds much better!!

Ha, ok, that sounds right. I was gonna say, I bought a full sheet of walnut faced plywood for 90 bucks recently. It wasn't the best quality in the world (veneer was VERY thin), but it wasn't crap either. I figured 3x that for oak faced plywood didn't sound quite right to me :)

Yea i was laughing after i got off the phone. He just said 278, did not specify sqft. I immediately pooped my pants thinking it was for the sheet. Last time i called i spoke with someone else and i priced out my teak ply and the guy gave me the prices by sheet, never by sqft, so i learned something new today.

Absolutely. Options are a good thing. And when you figure the hardwood dealer is a 25 minute drive each way, having the wood show up at my door is a good thing. 

And as far as shipping, depending on quantity, Bell Forest offers free shipping. Not sure how it is with a bulk purchase, but I added a board from their "pick a board" service and if you buy over $250 worth, it's free shipping. And their project packs are free shipping also. 

Free shipping would be pretty awesome. Even at 15BF of the Mahogany, I would still be saving $30-$40 between the cost of the material and gas (assuming free shipping). If I ever have anyone want something in Mahogany, I know where I will be going :)

• 2 weeks later...

So what does a person do if there aren't any good lumber dealers around u? The closest I can find is like an hour away. The only thing close are the box store home centers. I'd be interested to hear from Marc since he actually used to live about 20 minutes from where I live now...any ideas. So far for the tree small projects I have going I've just used small dimensional lumber from Home Depot and Lowes but would be interested in trying other types of wood.

So what does a person do if there aren't any good lumber dealers around u? The closest I can find is like an hour away. The only thing close are the box store home centers. I'd be interested to hear from Marc since he actually used to live about 20 minutes from where I live now...any ideas. So far for the tree small projects I have going I've just used small dimensional lumber from Home Depot and Lowes but would be interested in trying other types of wood.

Bell Forest - online dealer.
  • Like 1

An hour isn't that far.  It's about 45 minutes to the smaller not that well stocked place nearest me and a little over an hour to the big yard that I haven't made it to yet.  I try not to have to make the trip more often than I really have to which means I pretty much keep my own little lumberyard in the basement and just go the actual yard to restock and I come back with a couple hundred bf at a time.  Depending on how big the place is you may want to call ahead and see how they are stocked for what you want.  It kind of sucks to go down there looking to buy 75 bf of walnut and all they have is 3 boards that nobody else wanted.  But then again when one of them has some really funky grain that you end up saving for a special project it can make it worth the trip anyway.

• Like 1

I've ordered a few times from BFP, and it has been a great experience. However, nothing beats hand picking your boards in the flesh. In most cases, I can drive 10 minutes to get whatever I need, and my wallet is my only obstacle. 

For anyone ordering online, also go to www.woodfinder.com they have a bunch of links to tons of online dealers, and any information you wish to know about a certain species. 

• Like 1

I've ordered a few times from BFP, and it has been a great experience. However, nothing beats hand picking your boards in the flesh. In most cases, I can drive 10 minutes to get whatever I need, and my wallet is my only obstacle

For anyone ordering online, also go to www.woodfinder.com they have a bunch of links to tons of online dealers, and any information you wish to know about a certain species. 

How true it is.

4) Orbb just mentioned it, but www.hardwoodtogo is great..  Shannon (from wood talk online) runs this site.  He lists some inventory but will also fill custom orders.  his prices are fair and shipping is not outrageous if you have a larger order.   I go to him when I am looking for a specialty item I can not get locally.  For example I wanted so clear vertical grain douglas fir in 4/4 and 6/4 and this is actually hard to come by in the midwest. 

To plug Shannon, you are buying wood from a woodworker, not just a guy looking to fill containers to ship to China. 

Another source is eBay - generally the lumber is smaller (48"  and generally 4/4 or less), but prices seem to be good and you can see a lot of pictures of what you are buying.  I have been searching lately, and there is a lot of lumber on there - cherry, walnut, etc.