My trip to my lumber dealer today

Freddie

I took a trip this morning with my gf to check out the current selection of wood for my upcoming projects. Next project is a tv stand for my parents and the base is going to be all oak with my modified version of the shaker bench base as the finish. I added a photo of the finish sample. Top will be natural cherry. I sourced some nice 8/4 boards, as I plan to resaw a wide cherry board and book match for the top. More on that later as that project comes closer and the design is all worked out. I was also eyeballing the cherry for my bench top. They had an impressive selection of 8/4 and 12/4. I talked to the guy and am waiting to hear back on exactly what species it is so I can compare the hardness to that of hard and soft maple. My dealer also stocks a lot of european beech, that is also a consideration. 

post-3732-0-16268600-1389886069_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-80581600-1389886073_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-66839400-1389886077_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-10513200-1389886082_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-44989900-1389886086_thumb.jp

My pictures dont justify the size of this place, its huge!!! And theres another side with all the cabinet grade ply, not that lowes crap that has people all up in arms about ply, im talking the real nice stuff. The red oak ply im using for the tv stand and my bench base are 278 a sheet, ouch!! Beautiful stuff though.

My pictures dont justify the size of this place, its huge!!! And theres another side with all the cabinet grade ply, not that lowes crap that has people all up in arms about ply, im talking the real nice stuff. The red oak ply im using for the tv stand and my bench base are 278 a sheet, ouch!! Beautiful stuff though.

Wow, $278 a sheet??? You have any pics of a cross section? Is it really that much better quality? Is it just more plies or is the veneer face thicker too?

PS - those cherry prices are AWESOME.

Pb, idk why it is that much, but it is. I need flat sawn for my projects because the grain plays a major part in the outcome of the "glazed" finish i am going for. I dont want that rotary peeled crap from lowes either. I have another source in queens i can call. If your order is at least 300 theyll deliver free. Ill call them as well.

Sam, yes it is heaven, but i had to go to work so wahhh.

Pb, idk why it is that much, but it is. I need flat sawn for my projects because the grain plays a major part in the outcome of the "glazed" finish i am going for. I dont want that rotary peeled crap from lowes either. I have another source in queens i can call. If your order is at least 300 theyll deliver free. Ill call them as well.

Sam, yes it is heaven, but i had to go to work so wahhh.

I was just messing with you but that is way over priced. Flatsaw is even cheaper. If you're paying those insane prices for nice panels it might be time to invest in a press. Would pay for itself real quick. FWIW A1MPXFS  should be under $100 a sheet retail. A1MPFS $120 retail. A1MPFS is as close as you get to BB. or Apple with your choice of face. In some areas you can special order at even HD.

We have a couple decent size hardwood dealers in the Tampa area, but the prices are terrible. It would actually be far cheaper for me to order from Bell Forest and have it shipped than buy it locally.

Using the example mentioned, I could get 12/4 cherry from Bell Forest for less than I could get 4/4 cherry locally.

That ply price is insane though

Using the example mentioned, I could get 12/4 cherry from Bell Forest for less than I could get 4/4 cherry locally.

Best part of knowing that you have options out there!

EDIT:

If I was ever to get a decent amount of Genuine Mahogany (30-40bf worth) I would probably go through Bell Forest. Little over $2.00 less per BF. But, I'm not sure how much the shipping would be. That might be the deal breaker there.

Best part of knowing that you have options out there!

EDIT:

If I was ever to get a decent amount of Genuine Mahogany (30-40bf worth) I would probably go through Bell Forest. Little over $2.00 less per BF. But, I'm not sure how much the shipping would be. That might be the deal breaker there.

Absolutely. Options are a good thing. And when you figure the hardwood dealer is a 25 minute drive each way, having the wood show up at my door is a good thing. 

And as far as shipping, depending on quantity, Bell Forest offers free shipping. Not sure how it is with a bulk purchase, but I added a board from their "pick a board" service and if you buy over $250 worth, it's free shipping. And their project packs are free shipping also.