Best location for router table stabilizing pin?

graffis

Several years ago I made a router table (see attached) and now I want to add a “stabilizer pin” which is used to butt against and help control a work piece as it is fed into a rotating bit.  My thought was to use a threaded insert to allow the threaded pin to be removed when not needed.  Does anyone know if there is an “ideal” location for the pin placement with regard to the distance/direction from the center of the bit/router hole?  Should I use more than one location (for whatever reason)?  Any help with this would be appreciated.

Router table.pdf

Great thing about the router is that it can be used from any side. Just place your pin just a bit farther than your largest bit and to the right-hand side of the bit location when facing it. Since you wouldn't be using the fence with it, forward, back or in-line with the bit doesn't matter.

Recommended distance I've seen is under 2" from the bit edge. A good spot would be slightly in front of the bit on the infeed side.

Your starting pin goes in the best position to optimize table support for both in feed and out feed. Put a half inch diameter bit in your router. Use a straight edge, yardstick or whatever pushed against the bit. Swing the stick around until you get the best support obviously going to be one corner of the table to the other. Follow that line and drill for the pin just past your largest insert.