Plywood "Scraps"

went_postal

What kind of cart are you using?

Had no pics earlier. Now, the sheetgoods rack is in the artillery area... that is, the place where I rifle everything. It gets cleaned up when I sift through for the right size of something.

Anyway, six rubber casters on the bottom. Bottom of the rack is ply with 1x1 around the perimeter on top. Center section is made of 2x4s; basically up-across-down through the middle. Plywood gusset plates add a lot of strength. There's a 2x4 horizontally across the middle so shorter ply can lean against that. There's also a vertical in the middle. Not having ply in the middle makes a more 'open web' where I use bungee cords to hold stuff in place. Each end has a 2x4s slanting down to the bottom for support on one side. One side has all the sheetgoods. The other side has a bunch of 5 gallon buckets with smaller offcuts and a few 'drawer bottom' ply pieces. The bucket side could have ply sheets, too, but my intention wasn't to put any there hence the strengthening 2x4 on the ends.

I used to have a rack built against the wall but it was a huge waste of space and too difficult to get at something in the middle. Wall space is too precious for that :)

If these pictures and desc don't work out, lemme know and I'll pull it out into the driveway for a shot tomorrow. First picture has some ripped MDF leaning against the rack, not in it. For the fourth picture, I leaned that back so you could see the bottom.

post-50-047546400 1286951183_thumb.jpgpost-50-068552400 1286951214_thumb.jpgpost-50-041928500 1286951197_thumb.jpgpost-50-010978100 1286951228_thumb.jpg

I picked up two shopping carts that were scrapped by the local K-Mart. On one I removed the basket, installed a base, side, and back made from plywood. After replacing the wheels, I had a mobile storage cart that can be moved to the other side of the shop or to the work area. The other one was converted to a pile of scrap steel.

How about strapping them to the wall with a couple sets of screw eyes and some bungee cord?

The only problem I have with that...

I have a welcome mat on the garage floor and I put the boards on that and then lean against the wall... you can see that after a while it is putting a bow in the wood. Trying to avoid getting the bow.

Obviously laying them flat is the best way around that... but not much of an option here.

The only problem I have with that...

I have a welcome mat on the garage floor and I put the boards on that and then lean against the wall... you can see that after a while it is putting a bow in the wood. Trying to avoid getting the bow.

Obviously laying them flat is the best way around that... but not much of an option here.

My thinking is with bungees, high and low, you can avoid 'leaning' them, but rather keeping them upright. Some screw eyes and a couple ratcheting cargo straps can make a quick press with outside placement of a wide peice.