Table saw with induction motor

simocco

Hi

I am looking for my first table saw (bench saw). my workshop is very ...compact. i seem to be hung up on having one with an induction motor. do you know of any that are smaller i.e to sit on a bench that have an induction moror? Or perhaps you could point out the features that i should be focusing on.

many thanks

Simon

From my understanding the majority of contractor saws use induction motors as they are industrial and the fact of it having no brushes but really as a hobby wood worker I don't see many woodworkers complaining about having to replace their brushes to often.

As far as a bench top from my understanding all bench top use direct drive universal motor so if you are set on a induction motor look at the contractor saws.

Really when I think of what is important in a saw its not what kind of motor but what HP it has then its on to the important things like accuracy,type of fence,standard miter slot size so I can use aftermarket if needed, micro adjustments etc the motor for me personally becomes a unimportant thing past is the HP of the motor strong enough to cut the stock I am wanting to.

Let me just say that I was really happy with my Bosch 4100 benchtop saw. I got it for US$380 as a refurb. The miter slots were standard size (an issue for a low end bench-top), the fence was accurate and easy to use, and I never had a problem with power. I used a Freud LU83R010 10-Inch 50 Tooth ATB Thin Kerf blade on it. The blade guard and other features were well designed and easy to use. It had a dust collection port for a shop-vac (2.5") that worked fairly well. I traded up to the Sawstop contractor, but I kinda miss the Bosch because it fit into my shop easily and was convenient to use.

FYI, the Bosch 4100 is available from Amazon for $437 refurbished with one year warranty and free shipping. Don't forget to use TheWoodWhisperer -> Amazon link to support the site.

I have no relationship with Bosch or TWW except as a happy customer. I got my $380 price several years ago (when the economy was in free-fall), so I can't say whether it's worth waiting for a better price.