Workshops

Scooter67

I am new to woodworking and would like to learn more. I have very low funds and my space is tiny. Is there any place where there is a workshop for people like me to learn and work on projects. I thought about starting a business or a club where there was a workshop for everyone to use when they wanted. Everyone I talked to said it sounded like a great idea but just that it was an idea and it would not happen. If anyone knows of a place with a workshop around the Syracuse New York, please let me know. I really would like to work on projects but have no clue on how to start and how to use certain tools. I watch New Yankee Workshop but they always use tools I can't afford and they never talk about wood selection, getting things square, or what to do if you have very limited knowledge of tools. I should have taken woodshop 22 years ago in high school.

Sorry Scooter, I don't know of any community workshops here in the Syracuse area. There are woodworking clubs around, but I've never joined because I work off shifts and rarely have the time to go to meetings. Lakeshore Hardwoods out of Pulaski has a bunch of links for woodworking clubs in the area: lakeshore hardwoods

the timing is a little tough for me right now, but maybe we can find some time to get together in the future. Hopefully I can help to get you on the right path. In the mean time, there is tons of info to learn from Marc's videos and fellow bloggers and posters.

Sorry Scooter, I don't know of any community workshops here in the Syracuse area. There are woodworking clubs around, but I've never joined because I work off shifts and rarely have the time to go to meetings. Lakeshore Hardwoods out of Pulaski has a bunch of links for woodworking clubs in the area: lakeshore hardwoods

the timing is a little tough for me right now, but maybe we can find some time to get together in the future. Hopefully I can help to get you on the right path. In the mean time, there is tons of info to learn from Marc's videos and fellow bloggers and posters.

Thanks Muddlermike. I wrote a letter the Rochester Woodworking Society and so far they have not responded back yet. My grandfather did a lot of woodworking but I just never got around to ask his advise about it. He was not to fond of teaching young people. He had this natural talent but no talent for teaching. He was a great guy but a rough loving tough love guy. The woodworking he did was amazing. Before he died his passion was making baskets the way the Native American made them. He did it exactly the way they did it, he made his own strips from trees on his property and wove the strips to make the baskets. He use to sell them at craft fairs around Onondaga County. I would like to create some bookcases and shelves like him but since this is new to me I am looking for all types of help.

I would suggest going to the members portion of this site. PM some of those members in an area around where you are asking about instruction possibilities or about a local woodworking club. There just might be someone who would like to help a novice get started. And maybe just like to have someone to help them with the things that are too long or too big to handle by themselves. The trade off of help for knowledge is certainly worth the effort. The best bet by far is the local woodworking club. Here the club draws from a radius of 50 miles or so. There is one meeting a month and one or more workshops a month, plus a yearly project for the Salvation Army at Christmas.