Best cloth for wipe on poly?

Royal Payne

I don't know if there is a 'best'...

Old warn white T-shirts work very well.

I don't use anything that's got any color in it...

There are purpose-made wiping-finish cloths, but I've never used them...

I do occasionally use inexpensive staining pads -- something like $2/doz from HF.

You can also get a 'bag-o-rags'... Like $19.95 for 5lbs...  I do that when I've run-out of T-shirts...

Keep in mind when using those t-shirts, it's a good idea to cut out the seams. If you leave them in they could create some issues when trying to lay down smooth layers of finish. If you're wiping on and wiping off, it may not have much impact. But if you're using the rag almost like brush, it can make a big difference.

Im curious to hear why you guys don't use colored t shirts.

I personally don't use colored t-shirts out of fear the dye will transfer into whatever I am using. At my day job I often use alcohol with shop rags to clean parts, The crappy red rags always leave red streaks on the parts.

• Like 1

Keep in mind when using those t-shirts, it's a good idea to cut out the seams. If you leave them in they could create some issues when trying to lay down smooth layers of finish. If you're wiping on and wiping off, it may not have much impact. But if you're using the rag almost like brush, it can make a big difference.

Ahh yes, I have found that out by experience.